The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
shp4man

The 3rd generation GM six.

My truck had a 250 CID engine when I acquired it. Turns out it was an old rebuilt engine by a local company (Jasper). Figured that out when I took the valve cover off for a reseal. Clean as a whistle inside.
It had some ignition and carburetor issues, as you would expect, but those have been addressed.
Anyway, it keeps up with modern traffic pretty well, uses no oil, and is completely reliable. I'd drive it across the country, no problem.
Alls I'm sayin' is don't trash the old six unless you're a drag racer or something. It's a damn good engine.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: The 3rd generation GM six.

I have a 250 from a 1979 nova non-integral head and a 1980 292 sitting under a carport.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
AcampoDave

I read an article in the Hagerty news lettler titled "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" (or something like that). It really summed up how I feel.... things like nailing the downshift in a turn, slamming the pedal to the floor as you summit a hill, winding the motor up to its sweet spot... all that stuff can be done as you keep up with modern traffic. Meanwhile a high output ride stuck behind a Prius is hardly living up to its potential. People like to trash small engines, but when they are tuned up and running like the proverbial "well oiled machine" that they are...they can be a blast to drive. Especially with a manual transmission.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 08-01-2021 at 11:37 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

Shoot I had a 235 in my chopped panel with a Saginaw four speed, it was kind of a dog until I had the infamous Steve Secor In Rancho Bernardo, CA tune it up, rebuilt the dual Rochester carbs etc. It was a little hot rod after that. I guess Steve's son took over the business though so that resource is history. Steve used to race these straight sixes.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:28 AM   #5
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Inline 6's to this day are still doing the hard work in this country while v8's are keeping me employed. V8 diesels that is.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote