The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #1
conoco

Adding an O2 Sensor question

Could anyone tell me when adding an O2 sensor if I need one on each header or just below. I was looking at ordering the edelbrock kit. But if I only have 1 sensor i didn't think I would get a true reading. Any help or explanation on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated.

My current set up is long tube headers and supper 44 series mufflers on each side. There is plenty of room if I do need to add 2 but didn't know if they should be wired together . It would kind of defeat the purpose of making sure each side was good ( I thought)
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Adding an O2 Sensor question

If you list the ECM you have and the engine,
It would help someone give you a better answer.

Some ECM's that I have dealt with will only read one.

.../
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:36 PM   #3
MySons68C20

We have a Pro Flo 4 on our sons 86 K10 with a 5.3 engine.
That model only requires 1 02 sensor.
Link to their site below

https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/p...-efi/pro-flo-4

Last edited by MySons68C20; 08-08-2021 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Link missing
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:45 PM   #4
HotWheelsFan

Wiring 2 sensors does not sound like a good idea at all. I would follow the directions of the kit...

The way the sensors work, the computer will not see what values it should have and compensate the fuel accordingly. The computer should be calibrated to recognize a certain parameter of readings. Oxygen sensors constantly read rich/ lean conditions quickly so you would need two inputs to the computer. Wiring two together would likely give the computer false information.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #5
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWheelsFan View Post
Wiring 2 sensors does not sound like a good idea at all. I would follow the directions of the kit...

The way the sensors work, the computer will not see what values it should have and compensate the fuel accordingly. The computer should be calibrated to recognize a certain parameter of readings. Oxygen sensors constantly read rich/ lean conditions quickly so you would need two inputs to the computer. Wiring two together would likely give the computer false information.

Bob
Agreed. I didn't think using 2 sensors would work. I read online that you needed one on each side. 1 sensor would only be able to give readings for the side of the exaust it was placed on.

On have a 1972 gmc k25oo
383 stroker.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #6
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
If you list the ECM you have and the engine,
It would help someone give you a better answer.

Some ECM's that I have dealt with will only read one.

.../
I'm sorry your right. 1972 gmc k2500 with a 383 stroker.
I was looking at edelbrocks kit they sell for carb engines. I just didn't know if in order to get accurate readings I would get one sensor for each side.

Just like with my air mixture screws on my carb. One screw runs one side of the engine and the other for the opposite. Wasn't sure if that's how o2 sensors worked also. I have dual exaust but they are separate from each other. I didn't know by just putting 1 sensor on if the readings would be accurate.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:26 AM   #7
tdangle

For 2 sensors you would need a dual channel system

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
cj847

Some older fuel injected cars (ie 1996-1999) used a single O2 sensor. All modern V engines run 2 (bank 1 and bank 2). If your ecm will operate 2, I would use 2.

I guess that the aftermarket systems, especially if they are throttle body systems use 1 and probably only need 1. Unless you have multipoint FI there would be no advantage to have 2.

The reason for 2. You can monitor each side of the engine separately. Helps diagnose bad injectors, misfires, etc. Ideally, you would want an O2 on every cylinder, but it would require a more advanced ECM.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #9
Bigdav160

You can always install a bung in each side and swap the sensor from side to side for tuning purposes
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

I have a Innovate dual O2 guage installed on my Burban. It is a 350 SBC with Qjet and headers. A pretty generic engine. After tuning the carburetor and having it on the truck for a couple of years I don't believe that there is much advantage to having the dual set up. You can dial in the idle circuits so the mixture screws are the same and the O2 readings are generally within .05 to .3 of each other. (i.e. one side is 14.57 and the other is 14.74). If that difference matters to you then go with the dual sensor model and you can get them closer.

But is it worth the extra cost? To me not on a driver. I would rather spend the money to have some data logging capabilities to help dial the carburetor when driving. Like how rich is the power circuit and what RPM is it coming in at? Is my accelerator pump shot too lean or too rich.
One problem with the aftermarket O2 guage systems is the sensor life is poor. I personally believe it is because compared to a OEM factory system the power supplied to the O2 sensor is poorly regulated resulting in power spikes and lows that damage the sensor. The OE's are responsible for the vehicle's emissions for 100k miles so they have engineered a proper power supply to the sensor. The aftermarket is really only worried about their 30 to 90 day warranty. I have no real proof of my theory at this time but as both my sensors currently are dead I will install some sort of power protection before replacing them. And that should prove me right or wrong.
Do some research there are lots of tales of woe about dead sensors and at 80 bucks a pop it isn't fun. Not to mention all the Chinese knock off sensors in Bosch packaging.
That being said I have zero experience with the Edelbrock system.

Bigdav160 has an excellent idea if you go with one sensor.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #11
Accelo

As a general statement a single O2 sensor it typically used with TBI.
Dual sensors on Port or direct injection.
The system is more precise when it is basically looking at two four cylinder engines. This way the computer can modify one side's air to fuel ratio at a time.
Works great till you switch plugs on the O2 sensors side to side.... Then it goes nuts.
Any aftermarket system will have recommendations for how many and where the O2's should be located. If it's a transplant duplicate the factory set up as close as possible.
Rick
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote