The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2021, 08:52 PM   #1
Bullzak_83

A/C install-Restore

Hey all, I have a question, me and my son are in the process of restoring my ole 70 c10. Time to pass the keys on to my boy, the truck originally had factory A/C. Problem is all the original A/C components are gone. Through time & 30 years ago A/C stopped working had other plans and I got rid of it. I am looking at going with a vintage air system, verses going back with factory components. Vintage air around $1600.00 give or take, replacing all the original parts, around $2K, but I still have to re-plumb the vac lines inside the cab.
Does anyone have a diagram of how the original vacuum lines ran, that controlled the a/c side of the system.
And what are your thoughts on restoring verses going with a after market system.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Trey
Bullzak_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
bob arrington

Re: A/C install-Restore

cant help with the diagrams, but I put vintage air in a 76 vette and it worked fine, their kit came with instructions and the diagrams and they didnt mind answering questions. hope this helps
bob arrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #3
lux

I've never restored an original A/C. I have installed 2 Vintage Air systems my self. I'm very satisfied with their product and support. It's not really difficult to install and the only special tool you may need is the hose crimping tool. Or you could just take the lines to an A/C shop. Good instructions and good phone support.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
Bullzak_83

Thanks for the feedback. Thinking about it i will probably go with the vintage Air system.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:31 AM   #5
D-n-Tyke

Kind of in the same situation. They only draw back I have found with the Vintage Air system that uses the factory ducts is you loose the glove box. But I think that is a small trade off for what you get with the VA system.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #6
Bullzak_83

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
I've never restored an original A/C. I have installed 2 Vintage Air systems my self. I'm very satisfied with their product and support. It's not really difficult to install and the only special tool you may need is the hose crimping tool. Or you could just take the lines to an A/C shop. Good instructions and good phone support.
Lux, I would like to go with Vintage but was doing a little reading and came across this on their page. Have you had any issue with parts. Also I notice that it looks like there is some kind of linkage system you tie into your old controls
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #7
lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullzak_83 View Post
Lux, I would like to go with Vintage but was doing a little reading and came across this on their page. Have you had any issue with parts. Also I notice that it looks like there is some kind of linkage system you tie into your old controls
Yes, the quote in red from VA makes sense to me. They don't want folks thinking they support factory A/C systems, they only support their after market ones.
As far as the controls, that's the best part. You rebuild your original controller with their digital sliders. That way it still has that old look but with new guts. It's real easy to do. And you can always get one of their controllers if you want a new look. But, not me I like that old look.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:26 PM   #8
Blackbart72

I have also installed the Vintage air system in my 72. My truck never had the A/C. They give the option for trucks that had an A/C set up or Non A/C set up. Their kits come with everything you need which I admit is rare but true. There were no vacuum lines needed for the kit.
Blackbart72
Blackbart72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #9
dmjlambert

To answer your original question, the vacuum line diagrams are in this thread. Which diagram you will use depends on how the water valve operates (closes or opens with vacuum applied) and what type of vacuum control head is in the A/C controller (2 port or 3 port).

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=791991

You would only care about the vacuum stuff if you choose to get an original air setup going.

What are all the original A/C components that are are gone? The controller in the dash, all the in-dash outlets and hoses, the heater core box and lower heat outlets, the evaporator and blower housing on the passenger side firewall under the hood, all gone?

For my truck, it is important to me that I have a glove box, so I restored the in-cab A/C and heater boxes and the evaporator and blower housing. I replaced some of the in-cab components with good condition used parts by placing want-to-buy ads in the parts section here on the forum. I bought a new in-dash stock controller and ducts. And I bought an Original Air kit that includes everything under the hood except the compressor belt.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote