The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
elorenzof

Ignition Switch

Good Morning,

Some guidance please? I have a 1951 Chevy Truck 3100.
The owner (not me) put a steering column / wheel from a mid 80's chevy truck. It has the ignition switch in the column.

Now the owner wants to put a Flaming river Steering column in it that has no ignition switch on the column. How do we go about putting an ignition switch? Remember, it currently has an ignition switch / clyinder from a mid 80s truck. Basically im asking how to wire a new 51 chevy ignition switch into the current set up so when i replace the column we can still start the thing!
elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
jwhotrod

Re: Ignition Switch

its not much of an issue, the ignition wiring plugs into that switch mounted on the column and has a socket on the end of the wiring. its a simple matter of following the color code to transfer that wiring into a dash mounted switch which you can get from American Autowire or any of the other wiring guys.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
dsraven

I'm betting the wiring plug in for the newer column switch was previously spliced into the original wiring anyway, just follow it back to the splices. if not it would be good to know what you are running for engine, ignition system, starter etc. if it is the old basic engine that came in the truck it would have had a pedal starter so you will also need a push button starter switch if that was eliminated.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #4
mr48chev

If it still has the original hole for the original switch and it isn't damaged I highly suggest getting a good quality original style ignition switch and a pushbutton starter button.

The reason being = my experience with universal aftermarket ignition switches in the original switch hole is that they never stay tight for very long as they don't fit that hole well.
You can ask the customer if they would rather have the starter button on the dash or if they preferred it to be hidden or slightly hidden under the dash. I'd put the starter button on the left side of the steering column but prefer it to be hidden below the left side of the dash to make starting the truck a two hand operation.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
jwhotrod

in sll the streetrods i have built and wired, i have never seen a rplacement gm type switch loosen up. i use American Autowire harness and their switches havr never failed me, i am not trying to disparage you but that is my experience.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
mr48chev

Replacement GM type don't but aftermarket Universal switches that let you have key start have loosened up on me in my 48 and I tried about three of them over a period of time.

If the truck is a mod rod truck with all the billet trinkets one of those big Start buttons like the new cars have might not look out of place.

I like the hidden push button because it keeps people from accidently starting your truck if they fiddle with the key while you aren't in it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote