The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which engine should I put in this machine
Stock 5.3-I should just get the thing on the road and not worry about upgrades until later 9 81.82%
6.0 with Cam, headers, intake 706 heads - its apart now...might as well build it coooooool 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
Just-in-credible

Re: 1960 Apache K10 build

Next step…re-gear the diffs. I checked with the local driveline shops, and apparently there are some pretty long wait times, so I figured I should get at getting the diffs rebuilt. The 3.42’s just aren’t going to cut it with 33’3 or 35’s. I decided to go with 4.56’s and a true track. Pulling the rear end out was fairly uneventful. And I decided to leave the front in, and just buy a rebuilt unit.

I checked with the driveline shop, and they had them in stock, and I’ll get a refund for the core when I bring it back. I didn’t have time to rip the front end out before I had to leave for work, so she sits in the driveway with no rear for now. I’m planning to install the BDS 4.5” lift kit in once I get the front and rear diff’s back. It’s going to look pretty funny with a 4.5” lift and factory tires, but hey, I’m into things that aren’t normal. Everything Chassis and suspension related seems pretty solid so far.
Part of the reason that I picked 4.56 gears is that I know the overall ratio works well. I have 3.73’s with a 27.25” tire in my 65 2wd, and I really like the overall combination. It has plenty of get up and go, yet it is quiet enough on the highway when it’s down in OD. I typically cruise on the highway at about 70mph, and I’m turning 2250rpm. The new combo with 4.56 gears will be a tad lower rpm on the highway, but not by much, maybe 100rpm or so, which is negligible. However, it’ll be interesting to take it for a cruise before I put the big tires on and see what the difference feels like.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=824325
Just-in-credible is offline   Reply With Quote