The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #1
bcfishon

N.O.S. sheet metal prices?

I understand that new old stock is preferred and I wonder though if its really all about the fitment and quality or just a bragging point. I have a new old stock right fender for a 68 and debating on selling it to help finance the build,I don't really need it and have a hard time using it versus what I could get out of it. I myself would not pay double for a fender just because its new old stock,I don't see the value,would you?
Attached Images

bcfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
palallin

Re: N.O.S. sheet metal prices?

I have neither the skills nor the tools to do all the fixing necessary to make a poorly repopped fender fit, so I would have to use NOS or at least use OE. Others in the same boat might be willing to pay the NOS price rather than pay the body shop.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
72c20customcamper

I worked in a body shop from 77 to the 90 full time and part time up untill 2002 . To be honest factory sheet metal didnt fit great even then . BECAUSE the car/truck had been in an accident so over 50 plus years there has been lots of bumps and tweaks to a truck or car but the factory metal will still fit better than aftermarket .

It's also not so much bragging rights but some people including myself would rather have American made parts on our trucks .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
bcfishon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I worked in a body shop from 77 to the 90 full time and part time up untill 2002 . To be honest factory sheet metal didnt fit great even then . BECAUSE the car/truck had been in an accident so over 50 plus years there has been lots of bumps and tweaks to a truck or car but the factory metal will still fit better than aftermarket .

It's also not so much bragging rights but some people including myself would rather have American made parts on our trucks .
I might be wrong but I think Dynacorn and goodmark industries are both American sheet metal manufacturers,I agree in the buy American concept.

90 percent of the time I use original equipment and rebuild panels and I sometimes forget some folks do not have that option due to multiple circumstances.

I guess I've also forgot today's value of a dollar when evaluating the value of a needed part so I guess it makes some sense.

This hobby Is expensive
bcfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfishon View Post
I might be wrong but I think Dynacorn and goodmark industries are both American sheet metal manufacturers,I agree in the buy American concept.

90 percent of the time I use original equipment and rebuild panels and I sometimes forget some folks do not have that option due to multiple circumstances.

I guess I've also forgot today's value of a dollar when evaluating the value of a needed part so I guess it makes some sense.

This hobby Is expensive
American company but sell Chinese/Taiwanese parts . I think some may be made here but not much

You think these trucks are expensive 66 Chevelle front fenders are gold . Rear quarters impossible
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Good used OEM sheet metal is a great option to NOS, reproduction not so much. Maybe there is some out there now worth its salt, but last time I put a front end on a '68 using the best repro parts (not made in USA) the fenders had serious issues. The hood ran a different line than the fender top, I mostly recall the passenger side. On the driver side if you matched the top of the fender with the door, the lower body line was way off. The headlight door didn't cover at the inner lower corner. A hole was left there. That's been a while so in all fairness maybe something better is offered now. But that experience has had me using OEM ever since

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

The repop fenders on my 67 are a mess and would've taken a lot of body work hours to make them right. I don't know if the same applies to 68 fenders or not. I decided to just live with them but you may not have the same amount of patience.
I recommend not selling the NOS fender until you're absolutely happy with the fit up and condition of the other fender you plan on using. Then sell the NOS fender if you still want.
Here are pictures of the aftermarket fender on my truck. You may be able to see the problems.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:31 PM   #8
LS short box

Just FYI there's post on CL in Bloomer WI there is a post selling rust free sheet metal. Looks like he has some C10 stuff. I don't know him from any one so proceed at your on risk. Just passing it along.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #9
Accelo

I had a new take off tail gate and sold it to help pay for the build. Purchased a re-pop tail gate to go on the truck. Wished I wouldn't have. I installed the SS handle chrome and the the gate latch cam up and hit the Stainless. Sure the tail-gate looked good but the fit was different. Same thing on the bed side. One tail light went right in and the other wouldn't. The holes for the retaining bolts was 1/4" off.
So that's my story and the reason I would use the NOS fender.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote