The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2004, 01:38 AM   #1
skokie

Paint question

Ok this is going to be long winded so here I go.

I am planning on getting the body work for my 68 1/2 ton on the ball here but I got a question about painting it. My plan was to pull the cab and take it to get it blasted, primered and painted then in a few months when I had the $$$ I would take the fenders down get them blasted and painted etc. In essence a piece or two at a time. After talking to a few people they have all said that it would be better to get it all painted at the same time. Reason being that the color wouldnt be exact. Now I know nothing about painting a car so I am asking if someone could explain what this may mean?
Thanks
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:54 AM   #2
Mudder

I think it depends on the body man and where he gets his paint mixed or if like mine mixes it himself. I have had several different areas painted at different times and it always matches.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:18 AM   #3
chevymad

I've had fairly bad luck with paint matching that was painted at different times. Painted my dad's truck, then a year later he crashed a door. Had paint mixed. They gave me some toner to lighten the paint to match.. Well didnt use it and the door ended up lighter then the rest of the truck anyway. Also when I painted my truck, I used 2 gallons. One for all the inside/bed/jams etc.. the other for the outside. They ended up different. I also screwed up when I painted my doors. I had the truck all apart, had the doors laying flat on a table. Well the metal flake in the paint sank into the paint deeper on the doors. So my doors look darker then the rest of the truck. Even though they were all sprayed at the same time. I did get lucky once, painted my tailgate a year later and it matches perfectly. Too bad it was a cheap taiwan one that the welds failed on 6 months later!
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote