The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
hodag

What did you use for a bracket to mount your S10 steering column?

I am now ready to install a S10 Steering column with tilt in my 49 3600 cab, and wondered what everyone used for a bracket to hold the column to the dash? I made two strips of metal to extend the stock S10 set up, but that did not work. I saw someone welded an L bracket to the column and mounted to the dash. Well I am not a great welder so thought I would see what everyone did. The Picture below shows it with the S10 mount but it is way to deep. I want to mount to the other holes, just above it. Your pictures would be great to see. Thanks

Old 02-13-2022, 06:03 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: What did you use for a bracket to mount your S10 steering column?

Even by expanding that tiny photo I can't actually comprehend what you are saying.

When I had a late model column in my 48 (the column was late 70's early 80's Cutlass I think I used a muffler clamp to hang it from the dash. At least the U bolt from the muffler clamp and tossed the factory brackets in the scrap bin if I even took them out of the donor car. That wasn't fancy but at the time I was in a get it done mode and not a make it perfect mode.

The Idea behind how that S-10 bracket is made is that those aluminum pieces slide out of the bracket when the column collapses in a crash. You have probably already negated that feature anyhow.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote