The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
MDFarms

Which body bolt kit is best? Or use oem refurbished

Has anyone who has done a full restoration use a bolt kit from a aftermarket supplier? Or refurbish bolts? Anyone making correct bolts in correct finish ans markings?
Attached Images

MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
Lee H

Re: Which body bolt kit is best? Or use oem refurbished

Like many of you I used to have all the fasteners recoated, plated when doing a frame off. It was sometimes difficult to get the right finish and you still had a few buggered up bolts in the end, and sometimes had a hard time figuring out where something came from. In my neck of the woods platers are getting far a few in between and the cost is skyrocketing. The last 2 frame offs I’ve done, mid year corvettes, I used the kits. Correct fasteners for all locations, all the correct markings in the factory correct coating and you know exactly where every piece goes. Not sure if that’s the same with these truck kits but IMHO, the kits are the way to go, and I will be using a kit on my next truck.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #3
FullOutPwr

Never had an issues with Eckler's other than occasional slow shipping speed. I got my bolt kit, for my Chevelle, from them years ago. Everything was good quality.
US Mags Rambler 20s
FullOutPwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
MDFarms

Ecklers looks like a nice kit and if in factory finishes that would work. Anyone else want to chine in?
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:34 PM   #5
Accelo

It appears to me most of the fastener kits are one proved by amkproducts.com and the others vendors are resellers.

Below is a link to the 1972 Chevy C10 kit.
https://www.amkproducts.com/master-k...s&element=Body
The master kit has 469 pieces and costs $275

I purchased my kit from AMK and it was pretty darn good. I did find a few mistakes and they promised to fix them in future kits.
The fact they are not located in China was appreciated as was they actually answered my email.
Quote from their site;
"Chevrolet is as American as apple pie. We know that at AMK and pledge to produce a minimum of 80% of the fasteners used to make our Chevrolet fastener kits right here in America, currently we are exceeding 82% USA made content."

Some times the resellers are less expensive than getting directly from the manufacture. I'm not sure in this case. However, the web site does give good pictures and explanation of what is in each kit which I doubt in included in the resellers web sites.
cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:12 AM   #6
1moretruck

I use the kits made by Woodall, sold by Southern Kentucky classics.
1985 M1008
1986 M1008
2020 2500HD Duramax
1moretruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:39 AM   #7
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
It appears to me most of the fastener kits are one proved by amkproducts.com and the others vendors are resellers.

Below is a link to the 1972 Chevy C10 kit.
https://www.amkproducts.com/master-k...s&element=Body
The master kit has 469 pieces and costs $275

I purchased my kit from AMK and it was pretty darn good. I did find a few mistakes and they promised to fix them in future kits.
The fact they are not located in China was appreciated as was they actually answered my email.
Quote from their site;
"Chevrolet is as American as apple pie. We know that at AMK and pledge to produce a minimum of 80% of the fasteners used to make our Chevrolet fastener kits right here in America, currently we are exceeding 82% USA made content."

Some times the resellers are less expensive than getting directly from the manufacture. I'm not sure in this case. However, the web site does give good pictures and explanation of what is in each kit which I doubt in included in the resellers web sites.
cheers.
For what all you get in the master kit, that price doesn't seem terrible. I've spent hours cleaning old bolts and then I still have to have them coated or I have to paint them. Those new bolts sure sound appealing. Are the markings nearly the same?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote