The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2022, 04:44 PM   #17
dmjlambert

Re: Battery Desulfation

I am a little bit skeptical, too, and it is possible this belongs in the BS file, but I decided to take the chance and try it. That's why I mention in my post above I would sure like to see some calculations done by somebody who tries it on a fleet. Without somebody who controls a fleet joining with me, I'll have to just use the Amazon reviews and testimonials posted on the manufacturers website for evidence.

Here's what happened: I'm more cynical than skeptical. That's what lured me in for my device purchase. I'm a believer that 50 years ago battery manufacturers did not have the science and were not actively working to ensure battery failure by design at the end of the warranty period to ensure a steady stream of sales, and I absolutely believe they have the science figured out and do that today.

Same thing with headlights. For all the modern cars I have owned since sealed beam was replaced by the stupid little peanut bulb in a plastic housing, I've burned through $30 to $50 pairs of replacement bulbs once per year on average, and I did that for years. Brick and mortar stores absolutely do not sell factory replacement long life bulbs. O'Reilly, Autozone, Walmart, and all the rest have stupid "Silver Star" and other guaranteed to be super-duper bulbs for you to buy at a premium, and you plug them in and they burn out just a few months later. I've just recently in my life (5 years ago or thereabouts) started ordering H11LL and 9007LL bulbs online, and guess what, they really do last a long time. Years, not months.

So, I'm sick of wasting money on bulbs and batteries that are just designed to burn out because the manufacturers want a steady payment from me. I have to admit if I were them I'd be doing the same thing. You would have to be a real dummy to make and sell something really good that once people bought one from you, those people are completely done doing business with you. I don't blame them, but I'm mad at them anyway.

If I have a chance of making an expiration-date-designed and overly-expensive modern battery last longer than the manufacturer wants it to, then I'm going to take that chance. This battery thing really started to tick me off when the prices quite suddenly went WAY over $100 for a car battery a couple years ago, and I have to repeat my buying when the "old" battery still looks damn new on the outside and it seems like just a couple months ago I was out here in the Autozone parking lot with hand tools screwing with a bulb or a battery. Well, indeed, it was just a couple months ago.

OK, long rant over for now.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote