The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2022, 06:48 PM   #26
AcampoDave

Cool Re: Helping the Vintage Air

So my impromptu heat shield did nothing but squeak against the firewall. I took it off. But today I did notice that hot air is blowing out a slot relief on the top side of the column. I can only think it's entering around the gear selector to linkage stub under the hood as there is a huge void there to accommodate its rotation. I don't necessarily want to remove said stub and smooth the column (in case I ever go automatic). But I'm think of sealing it off with some kind of high temp sealant. (Covering it with Kilmat just made a hot mess.) Likewise for the slot reliefs on the interior part too. That should at least put a stop to the chimney effect of the column housing. I think I'll also trim the housing out in pipe insullation up there under the dash. I do think Vintage Air is a good product, but its gonna struggle if you've got the equivalent of a heater rising thru the steering column on triple digit days. This weekend it's only supposed to be mid 90s so maybe I'll get motivated to see what else I can figure out. The Jet Hot will happen this fall and yes, the shiny silver isn't the most attractive on a pitted ramhorn but if it's 20% better at containing heat, then I'll be cool with it. Get it...cool with it...I know (groan)

Last edited by AcampoDave; 08-17-2022 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #27
AcampoDave

Re: Helping the Vintage Air

The heat was definitely rising up thru the relief for the shifter arm in the column tube. I put a stop to it for now with metal tape and took an extended drive on a 100 degree afternoon. The difference was noticeable. My column is from a 1970 Coupe Deville and I suppose there is/was likely some type of heavy felt pad in there which used to block the rising heat on the original application. Surely it had worn out before the column even left the Caddy. Most aftermarket columns have an automatic transmission selector built into them and I would hazard a guess that economical versions could be lacking in this area when new. Those of us living in hot climates would do well to consider this easily overlooked pathway for heat and engine gasses. Thanks for reading my thread.

Edit: I also found 1.5 inch pipe insulation will nicely dress the interior of the column tube but you need to cinch it tightly with zip ties to get the split to meet together. If I ever find that stuff for an inch and 5/8 pipe I think that would be perfect.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 08-27-2022 at 08:04 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:00 AM   #28
350TacoZilla

Re: Helping the Vintage Air

Glad you got a bit of relief from heat pouring in. I'm in MD so I get both 100 degree summers and freezing winters....so you know.... fun
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote