The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
Lugnutz65

Assembly of my V8 SBC dual exhaust.

I bought a 16 piece 2” mandrel bent exhaust kit from Amazon. I added 4 or 5 pieces and got to work. My local muffler shop didn’t feel confident enough to tackle the job.
Lots of work to get it done. I’m happy with the layout and pretty happy with the sound. Magnaflow glasspacks. X-pipe was pretty easy because I had to bring pieces to the middle and up between the drive shaft and control arms anyway.
I have a SBC 283 with a 268H cam and factory ram horn exhaust.
Here’s a video.
Good to be back on the road again.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Assembly of my V8 SBC dual exhaust.

I’m surprised you didn’t use something on the ram’s horns to preserve them and look nicer.
I used some Eastwood cast iron gray on mine. Used the brush on style.
I see it comes in an aerosol now.

https://www.eastwood.com/factory-gra...p-coating.html
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
Lugnutz65

I did use something. I used pot belly stove polish. They look slate black/gray and it’s easy to apply more as needed with an old toothbrush without removing the manifolds.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

You probably did better than your local muffler shop since that would have kicked their tail. I'd find another shop, just sayin. Good work, like the sound.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:00 PM   #5
LVPhotos

From what I read the X or H pipe needs to be 18" -24" from collector. Though the rams pose a different senereo. Closer to engine.
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/...haust%20system.
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:45 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Nice work. The X pipe is a great addition. I put an H on mine as an afterthought and it really did improve the sound.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:19 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

That came out really nice!

A guy at a muffler shop couldn't/wouldn't do it? I'd stay away from there, too. I've put in Flowmaster and other systems laying on my back on the driveway, with the vehicle right in my face. I'd be in heaven with a hoist.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:24 PM   #8
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
I did use something. I used pot belly stove polish. They look slate black/gray and it’s easy to apply more as needed with an old toothbrush without removing the manifolds.
I see!
WishI’d known about that stuff 35 years ago.
Looks better than the cast iron look I had.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:27 AM   #9
Braunschweiger

Great job, the X Pipe looks great. I sandblasted my headers and painted them with VHT Cast Iron, let's see how long it lasts. The tip is good.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:38 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPhotos View Post
From what I read the X or H pipe needs to be 18" -24" from collector. Though the rams pose a different senereo. Closer to engine.
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/...haust%20system.
There's optimizing a system & there's putting things where it gets the job done & is easier for packaging. Sometimes compromises work good enough for the intended task.

@Lugnutz65.... Lookin good!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:25 PM   #11
LVPhotos

I understand making stuff work. There are differences what works and what is productive.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2022, 01:50 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
I understand making stuff work. There are differences what works and what is productive.
Not suggesting otherwise. Can you educate me about how significant this different placement will be?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-20-2022, 02:51 PM   #13
LVPhotos

Several articles on this. Including the one I posted. The "pulse" balance is closer to engine.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...your-ride/amp/
Old 09-20-2022, 04:30 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Several articles on this. Including the one I posted. The "pulse" balance is closer to engine.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...your-ride/amp/
I did view the first link but it was based on placement of the 'x' for 'maximum flow'. It seems most guys utilize 'X/H' pipes for helping w/noise or droning issues more than for flow-rate based performance (especially those still using manifolds vs tuned length headers). They don't hurt flow & help tame the exhaust note.

Not sure if something went wrong but your 2nd link just popped up a 'MT' icon/image but nothing else when I clicked on it. Not sure what info was intended to be linked.

My point was w/manifolds, I don't think where he put the 'X' is that big of a deal. Definitely not a deal-breaker as far as performance goes in his case.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-20-2022, 09:45 PM   #15
Lugnutz65

This 1965 C10 is NOT built for high performance. However, I think it will perform better than a factory C10 did in 1965.
I did the X-pipe for my own entertainment. If performance is better with the X-pipe, I’ll have no way to tell anyway. It’s not like I’m gonna take it out to see which way is better.
I understand that an X-pipe may help flow by scavenger and Venturi effect. Maybe mine won’t because of placement but I doubt it can hurt performance.
The down side if any is that by connecting the two sides at the X-pipe I have now made it impossible to install or remove the exhaust UNLESS I create a joint somewhere so it can be taken apart in pieces. Some will think I shot myself in the foot by creating that problem, but I guess to each his own.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:50 PM   #16
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
This 1965 C10 is NOT built for high performance. However, I think it will perform better than a factory C10 did in 1965.
I did the X-pipe for my own entertainment. If performance is better with the X-pipe, I’ll have no way to tell anyway. It’s not like I’m gonna take it out to see which way is better.
I understand that an X-pipe may help flow by scavenger and Venturi effect. Maybe mine won’t because of placement but I doubt it can hurt performance.
The down side if any is that by connecting the two sides at the X-pipe I have now made it impossible to install or remove the exhaust UNLESS I create a joint somewhere so it can be taken apart in pieces. Some will think I shot myself in the foot by creating that problem, but I guess to each his own.
Meh, if you bought good parts you probably won't need to work on the exhaust system again in your lifetime. If you have a tall axle, you MIGHT notice a slight loss of torque at low RPM, like off the line...and you aren't drag racing.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #17
MT65

Quote:
I used these turbo band clamps on all exhaust systems, can be disassembled with ease…..
Attached Images

MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:29 PM   #18
slepysal

nice job

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:16 PM   #19
AcampoDave

For me the crossover pipe was totally about the sound. I put it under my E brake crossmember and it did away with the riffling and light popping sounds upon deceleration and made for a smoother, quieter ride at speed and especially at idle.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #20
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
For me the crossover pipe was totally about the sound. I put it under my E brake crossmember and it did away with the riffling and light popping sounds upon deceleration and made for a smoother, quieter ride at speed and especially at idle.
True! I was very surprised how tame my exhaust sounds. I was expecting more sound. If I had gone with 2.5” pipe I think it’d have a lower rumble.