The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2022, 11:37 AM   #10
dsraven

Re: Picked up another old pickup!

very nice truck. not many in good shape like that anymore.
a few years ago I helped a buddy do a 54 GMC. all stock except for a duel circuit master cylinder, an alternator and 12volt upgrade. I seen him the other day and asked if he drove it this summer since it was a pretty nice summer here. he said about 3 or 4 times just on the back roads. kinda a shame really. I can't help but wonder if he would drive it more if it had a few modern upgrades, good brakes, power steering and maybe an automatic or overdrive trans so he could keep up with traffic. he's thinking about a seat belt upgrade to new lap belts.
personally I would keep the appearance of the old truck but get some good seat belts or seats with integral belts for shoulder stylebelts, move the gas tank out of the cab, upgrade to power disc brakes, install an overdrive or an automatic trans, do the 12volt and alternator, radial tires and electric wipers. I would also go through it and seal up as many air leaks as possible around doors etc. I'm also one of those researchers who is always looking at what I could improve. the purists would put me on the bad guy list, lol. my buddy with the 54 calls me a butcher, haha. I would try to keep it so it could be put back to stock if desired and, of course, keep all the old parts for the guy who would wanna do that when I'm finished with it.
you prolly have the right idea though, relax and just drive it.
wondering if you could sell the wife's car for enough to build another garage to park your vehicles in. hahahaha
just kiddin
post up a few more pics as you cruise around and have fun
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote