The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2023, 10:38 AM   #22
72SB

Re: 72 clutch rod adjust?

Yeah is good to be able to find these kinds of parts. The place I got the pivot nut from said it was NOS. When I put it on, I found the retaining lock nut only goes on the rod about 1/2", if that, before bottoming out on thread on rod. With this new pivot nut against the ridge of the rod there was quite a bit of slop (read movement fore and aft) to the point the pivot nut cold turn "out" of the recess notch in fork.

If you note in RichardJ pic that pivot nut has a deeper shoulder than the one I got. I added the 1/4" spacer.

Working without a net as the truck did not have these things when I got it and it's been about 50 years since I have had a Z bar mechanical clutch truck or car and not knowing how long, what shape, the return spring is I had to "improvise" but in the end I got there. Fortunately finding these parts made it a simple job. Heck, didn't even need to raise the truck to do the fix.

My clutch now disengages/engages much higher off the floor and certainly has a better feel in terms of pedal resistance vs not having the fork return spring. After driving it I may adjust the rod shorter to bring the engagement/disengagement point lower than it is now. This will take any tension off the fork though from return spring so I may have to use a small L bracket bolted to hole in in frame to allow the forward spring attachment to be about 1/2" further forward thus keeping slight tension on fork. IDK if the return spring is NOS or repop. My guess is NOS but who knows. In any event, just like using the 1/4" spacer for pivot nut....some "adjustment" is sometimes needed to make it work the way one wants. I don't want to cut the spring down any or drill another hole forward in frame so a simple L bracket will suffice.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote