The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2023, 11:02 PM   #1
Angrywood

taking apart a 62 dash cluster

has anyone taken their dash cluster apart to clean it up? anything surprising jump out when you unscrew it and separate it? here is a pic of mine.... figured id clean it up and paint while i have it out working on a wiring issue.
Attached Images

Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 11:29 PM   #2
60short
Revitalizing a 6T C10

Re: taking apart a 62 dash cluster

this is for the later trucks, but is very similar from my experience ...

How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
20+ year long term project in process
Lots of Rust, more memories...
60short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 12:35 AM   #3
SkinnyG

There are wee rectangular rubber insulators - watch for those to fall out. And the bulb surrounds and lenses.

I went Classic Instruments on my '61, which uses the original bezel.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 10:06 AM   #4
Angrywood

thanks 60 and skinny... on mine it doesn't look as complicated with all the gauges and such. seems like a handful of screws to separate the cluster into half so it doesn't seem like i will have to deal with too many little pieces. but will be looking for those rectangular pieces skinny talk about. thnx
Old 09-04-2023, 11:34 AM   #5
Agv63

Nothing fancy on them. Unless you are stripping the speedo unit into pieces. I only removed the backing plate and carefully cleaned and relubricate. Did mine about a year ago and added a temp and oil pressure gauge.
Painte mine silver on inside and silver on the lens engraving. Then 2 hrs of elbow grease to polish it up.
Went with yellow led bulbs for lighting. Vdo electric gauges, temp gauge i had was actually for oil temp but i had it, found a place that it works.and no extra monies spend.
Last pic is where i am with center of dash to hide the butchering that so many have experienced. Still a work in progress there,

Cheers.
Adriaan.
Attached Images

Agv63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 01:42 PM   #6
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agv63 View Post
Nothing fancy on them. Unless you are stripping the speedo unit into pieces. I only removed the backing plate and carefully cleaned and relubricate. Did mine about a year ago and added a temp and oil pressure gauge.
Painte mine silver on inside and silver on the lens engraving. Then 2 hrs of elbow grease to polish it up.
Went with yellow led bulbs for lighting. Vdo electric gauges, temp gauge i had was actually for oil temp but i had it, found a place that it works.and no extra monies spend.
Last pic is where i am with center of dash to hide the butchering that so many have experienced. Still a work in progress there,

Cheers.
Adriaan.
looks clean. no im just taking the baking off to clean the front inside area. nothing crazier than that. if you dont mind and have the chance...can you send a pic of the back of you cluster? does your gen light have a brown and pink wire to it?
thanks
Old 09-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #7
Agv63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrywood View Post
looks clean. no im just taking the baking off to clean the front inside area. nothing crazier than that. if you dont mind and have the chance...can you send a pic of the back of you cluster? does your gen light have a brown and pink wire to it?
thanks
Will have a look , the colour coding sounds familiar, i remember pink was switched power when i traced wiring before i redid all of it, cant remember if i used a new bulb holder or joined wires on the old one, too many add-ons over the years and had burnt wires, mine were a mess when i got it. Didnt have the temp lights or the oil press dummy light, half of the display lights were missing.

Cheers.
Adriaan.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #8
Angrywood

Quote:
Will have a look , the colour coding sounds familiar, i remember pink was switched power when i traced wiring before i redid all of it, cant remember if i used a new bulb holder or joined wires on the old one, too many add-ons over the years and had burnt wires, mine were a mess when i got it. Didnt have the temp lights or the oil press dummy light, half of the display lights were missing.

Cheers.
Adriaan.
sounds about right...im dealing with a bowl of spaghetti noodle now too. thnx
Old 09-04-2023, 07:27 PM   #9
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Place it face down on a clean white towel. Remove the screws and take it apart in layers. Plast-X does real well with polishing the lens.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:28 PM   #10
Angrywood

wow...what a difference a little bit of time makes. thanks for the help on taking it apart. ill pant the back panel gray as well like the bezel when i paint the inside of the cab.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2023, 09:33 PM   #11
DPowers

Looks great.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:15 AM   #12
Agv63

Quote:
..can you send a pic of the back of you cluster? does your gen light have a brown and pink wire to it?
thanks
Hi. I checked just now, i changed my bulb holder so cant verify wire colors.
I do have a image of wiring schematics that i used when tracing my wires, it does show on there that pink and brown is for gen light.

Your cluster looks good. Its wonderful what some time spend on cleaning and detailing on things can do.

Cheers.
Adriaan.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:24 PM   #13
Angrywood

Quote:
Hi. I checked just now, i changed my bulb holder so cant verify wire colors.
I do have a image of wiring schematics that i used when tracing my wires, it does show on there that pink and brown is for gen light.

Your cluster looks good. Its wonderful what some time spend on cleaning and detailing on things can do.

Cheers.
Adriaan.
Right on … thanks for checking
Old 09-08-2023, 10:38 PM   #14
Angrywood

Quote:
has anyone taken their dash cluster apart to clean it up? anything surprising jump out when you unscrew it and separate it? here is a pic of mine.... figured id clean it up and paint while i have it out working on a wiring issue.
Heres another question... can anyone tell me if this is a stock cluster and if so what year? im trying to find a new harness for it but it appears AAW and other wire harness companies have never heard of a dash cluster that has two gauges and two warning lights. thus dont know what wire harness ill be needing. my cluster has two plugins... one with 4 wires other with 6. 61 and 62 harnesses either had 3 and six or 4 and 5.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:42 AM   #15
Agv63

Quote:
Heres another question... can anyone tell me if this is a stock cluster and if so what year? im trying to find a new harness for it but it appears AAW and other wire harness companies have never heard of a dash cluster that has two gauges and two warning lights. thus dont know what wire harness ill be needing. my cluster has two plugins... one with 4 wires other with 6. 61 and 62 harnesses either had 3 and six or 4 and 5.
Does your harness look like this one? Weird enough i was looking as dashes to get some ideas and inbetween this popped up. Looking at that layout it looks like what yours would be. On ecklers site it says for 60-61 c20.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2023, 06:57 PM   #16
Angrywood

Quote:
Does your harness look like this one? Weird enough i was looking as dashes to get some ideas and inbetween this popped up. Looking at that layout it looks like what yours would be. On ecklers site it says for 60-61 c20.
the 3 i looked at looked like that. only difference was the harness plugs. hard to tell with the wire coloring from that picture and what i got on the dash.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:23 AM   #17
Angrywood

Quote:
it looks right but hard to tell how many tabs are in each plug.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:57 AM   #18
Agv63

Unfortunately thats the only image ecklers shows on their website, zooming doesnt help much . And the ship it directly from a supplier so they wont have one to view directly. I think it is from american auto wire.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:12 PM   #19
DPowers

You have an idiot light cluster. Full instrument cluster looks like this (with optional tach).
Contact M&H
wiringharness.com
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2023, 10:22 PM   #20
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
You have an idiot light cluster. Full instrument cluster looks like this (with optional tach).
Contact M&H
wiringharness.com
even with the temp guage it would consider it the idiot light cluster? and get the harness for that and it should work?
Old 09-11-2023, 10:25 PM   #21
cwcarpenter98

You can purchase a new harness for a truck with warning lights and it will work with your cluster. The warning lights will have two wires running to the coolant temp warning lights. Since you have a gauge, you can just use one wire from that two wire plug at the warning lights/gauge. That's what I did with my 63 when I swapped clusters to have a temp gauge.

You might have to move the temp wires around on the plug to match up with the correct wire from your temp gauge sender, but a small, flat blade screwdriver can easily pop the terminals out of the plug

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:18 AM   #22
Angrywood

perfect.. thanks for the info DP and CW