The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #76
harrij4

Re: Amp Research Powerstep

OK, as promised I've compiled a very detailed guide for bracket fabrication and installation of the brackets and steps. It has lots of pictures and a full set of prints, but that unfortunately makes it a huge document (96MB). So, I've hosted it on my personal Google Drive, but made it publicly available via this link:

Bracket Fabrication and Install Guide for Amp Research Powersteps (1st Gen K5)

I'll also attach just the prints to a later post here.

Hopefully this helps someone out there!
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:10 PM   #77
harrij4

Posting PDFs of the prints. Here are the core components:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf K5BlazerPowersteps_BasePlate.pdf (106.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: pdf K5BlazerPowersteps_TopPlate.pdf (102.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf K5BlazerPowersteps_FrontRail.pdf (100.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: pdf K5BlazerPowersteps_TopRail.pdf (95.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: pdf K5BlazerPowersteps_Rib.pdf (98.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-10-2022, 01:11 PM   #78
harrij4

Posting PDFs of the prints. Here are the weldments:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf K5BlazerPowersteps_BasePlate Weldment.pdf (103.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: pdf K5BlazerPowersteps_TopPlate Weldment.pdf (111.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 11-11-2022, 04:03 AM   #79
Blazerowner

Very nice. Much appreciated.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:35 PM   #80
paujones1

I purchased the Powersteps for the Jeep as recommended. I’m wondering if aluminum stock would work for the brackets vs steel?
Posted via Mobile Device
paujones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:37 PM   #81
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paujones1 View Post
I purchased the Powersteps for the Jeep as recommended. I’m wondering if aluminum stock would work for the brackets vs steel?
Posted via Mobile Device
It probably would. I personally went with steel because a) I didn't want to experience any flex when standing on the steps, and b) because I'm better at welding steel than aluminum

Beyond stiffness, the issue you'd run into (if trying to use my design exactly) would be the weld nuts on the top plate assembly.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:19 PM   #82
paujones1

I went ahead and ordered the steel and hardware per
Your specs. Pricier than I expected but I have it shipping so that cost a few bucks. I went with 4 4” lower plates that I will weld into the 2 plates. Was easier than sourcing 8” wide plate steel. I may have some questions / comments when I get into it… but I am very grateful for the recommendations, instructions and supply list!
Posted via Mobile Device
paujones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:02 AM   #83
Blazerowner

Another option:

https://hoganbuilt.com/productPages/exterior/ampStep
Old 05-08-2024, 02:57 AM   #84
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
Yikes! Seems Blazers are bit more troublesome than trucks, but that is a hefty price they are asking for RND on the brackets. Was just able to just use some axle shims to get Amp steps on my 72 SWB truck. Install can be seen in my build thread.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:16 PM   #85
SeventyOne

Quote:
I'm in the middle of installing these on mine
SeventyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:36 PM   #86
Blazerowner

Happen to have some pictures of the install? I just ordered a set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
I'm in the middle of installing these on mine
Old 05-08-2024, 08:19 PM   #87
SeventyOne

Quote:
Happen to have some pictures of the install? I just ordered a set.
I'll post some pics when i get back in the garage to keep working on it.

Do you have your AMP steps already?
SeventyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 11:11 PM   #88
Blazerowner

Not yet. I ordered a set from summit racing but they are on back order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
I'll post some pics when i get back in the garage to keep working on it.

Do you have your AMP steps already?
Old Today, 04:13 PM   #89
SeventyOne

I got the Hogan Built // AMP step install all finished up this past Friday ahead of a local K5 meetup. The steps got a lot of attention!

The installation proved to be difficult in a few areas - some of which where just poor or vague instructions. Here's a rundown/recap while it's fresh:

BRACKET + STEP INSTALLATION
-The rear brackets bolts to the end of the rocker box end caps. My driver side cage nuts broke off so I had to fish a box wrench with tape through the tiny channel. It was tedious and frustrating but I got it done.

-Apparently AMP changed the design of their step motor housings at some point which was unknown to HB. My motors did NOT fit the rear step brackets provided by HB. They put me in contact with their fab guy who was SUPER helpful and got me a revised set of brackets in less than 2 weeks. So if your motor housings (they're attached to the arms) have a plastic housing I would reach out to HB to make sure you have the right rear brackets. If your motor housings are made of cast aluminum you should be fine.

-The Passenger side step motor should be attached to the motor housing with the 3 screws BEFORE you bolt on the bracket (which is counter to the instructions you get from HB, but is what the AMP instructions would tell you to do). You will NOT be able to get the top screw in place otherwise.

-Side note 1: when talking to the fab buy at HB he recommended to install the rear motor arms into the rear brackets before installing in the truck, also counter to the HB instructions. It's doable both ways (because i did it both ways) but be aware you can install the arms into the brackets on a bench which may be easier.

-Side note 2: while I was working with my original brackets the bolt holes are extremely tight due to the powder coating. I ran a 5/16" bit through all the holes at the direction of the HB fab guy. The revised set of brackets I received had the holes enlarged slightly so that even with the powder coating the bolts fit perfectly.

-Side note 3: once my steps were wired and moving up and down it became apparent that the lip at the bottom of the rocker boxes comes into contact with the step. Fab guy recco'd the rocker box should be trimmed - and potentially to run a low-profile allen-head bolt for the bottom, outboard-most rocker box bolt. I removed the bolt completely (did not replace it yet) and ground quite a bit of material away in the form of semi-circle in order to improve the clearance between the step and rocker box edge. This lack of info in the instructions seemed to be the biggest miss for me.

WIRING
-I severely dislike the plastic corrugated wire harness stuff so i completely disassembled the AMP wiring harness to remove. In the process I also removed the wiring for the 4 LED lights since i did not want to run them.

-Since the AMP kit is for a 4 door truck you have 2 purple trigger wires you do not need. With the harness stripped down it was easy to just snip the 2 extra wires after the factory diodes.

-I reached out to HB to ask where they mount the controller and they said it varies from build to build but in general they mount it under the dash/on the column. I found a perfect spot on the side of the brake pedal bracket (may not work on a manual truck). I have an AAW harness and it comes ready with a 30amp battery power connection. So i ran the red power wire there, and just grounded the black wire to a spot under the dash.

-The 2 purple wires were routed and connected close to each of the factory door switch (Courtesy Ground) wires and installed with the HB provided diodes.

-For the 2 motor wires/plugs I used a standard Molex tool to unpin the wires from the AMP controller connector. I used the OE Blazer jack holes behind the driver seat to get the wires from the underside of the truck, through the holes, under the carpet, and ran up under the dash. Note: I needed to enlarge the jack holes slightly to fit a grommet. Link to Molex tool below to unpin.

-The passenger side motor wires came up a little short and needed to be extended. You may not need to depending on how you route your wires.

REVIEW/RECAP
All in all it's probably in the top 5 mods I've made to my truck. I have a 6" lift and 37" tires and I didnt realize until the steps were on how NICE it is to have them. My Wife and daugther are also super excited to have them
Plus they look pretty stealth when retracted and most wouldnt notice theyre even there.

I'm also realizing now I only have pics of the steps and none of the wiring - so I should get some soon. I do have videos but not sure how to add them here without some other hosting site - maybe i can make a post on my Instagram and ya'll can go there if anyone's curious.

Final note - I have yet to do the trimming and reinstallation of the inner fenders but should be tackling that soon. Seems straight forward but will follow up if i have any issues to share there.

Molex tool: https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Rem.../dp/B0094MIS9U

Pics:
Name:  DriverDown.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  DriverDown2.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  108.5 KB

Name:  DriverUp.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  DriverUp2.jpg