The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2024, 10:36 PM   #26
nvrdone

Re: Parking brake question

Im working on using a rachet style pull handle from summit. My plan is to mount it on the left side of the floor between the seat and door with a cable going back to the cross bar under the cab. Then the only problem will be the loss of the left side vent.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:17 PM   #27
TX3100Guy

If possible, I'd like to see a photo of the mechanism you are going to use. I can't yet wrap my head around how you are going to connect it.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:48 AM   #28
fauXGT

If you already have rear discs, then I guess it has park brake capabilities?
I did not have any of the stock park hardware, so I hunted down some parts.
All cable driven. I just built the firewall mount at an angle before final paint to get the cable to hit the eyelet straight. Probably don't have to.
Attached Images

full Rusto-Mod
'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:30 AM   #29
leegreen

have you looked at the linear actuator style electric e-brakes?
e-stopp is one. it has been used by a couple people on the site, but I am not aware of any long term driving reviews

if you have a functional ebrake now it could be the simplest way to get rid of the pedal without needing to mess up your interior.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:57 AM   #30
nvrdone

tx3100guy. Unfortunatly I dont do pictures. never figured it out.
The handle mounts thru the floor and then a cable will run back to the left end of the cross bar where the cable to the left rear brake mounts.
The only concern is you have to have enough clearance between the seat and the door to reach the handle.
The handle could also be mounted on the floor in front of the seat with the cable routed to the centerr of the cross bar but that may be a little hard to reach.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:34 AM   #31
TX3100Guy

Wow, you guys have given me three great options. After doing a bit od searching and watching YouTube videos, I find that I'm hardly the first guy to have this dilemma of wanting to eliminate the e-brake pedal.

I was so confused as to which way to go, a mechanical handle connected via cable to the existing brake mechanism, the Mico electric unit installed in the rear brake fluid line, or the E-Stopp linear actuator. I had an embarrassment of rich choices.

In the end, I eliminated the mechanical handle method as my interior is nearly finished and the thoughts of moving components to get everything to fit and still possibly not fit properly. But I was torn between the other two alternatives, so I purchased both and after examining them, will return one of them. I have high hope for the E-Stopp unit since it uses my existing brake cables. Also I hate working with brake lines. The endless chasing of drips and bleeding is a pain in the a$$.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:54 AM   #32
Hcb3200

Of the two I like the e-stopp. since it uses the normal cable e brakes.

My only thought would be they should improve it to have push on and off variability.
Seems its either all the way on or all the way off. Would be nice to give you control just like you would with a hand driven brake. Maybe version 2 and only for x dollars more.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:12 PM   #33
TX3100Guy

Funny I was thinking the same thing. Instead of just a button for on and off, a potentiometer to vary the intensity of the "pull".

After I made that last post, I went and cancelled the order for the Mico unit after I thought about fussing with brakes lines......yet again. I do like the idea of using the existing cables to the rear calipers. Now to find an installation spot that works. HAs anyone here done that already?

Old 05-15-2024, 01:07 PM   #34
leegreen

the e-stopp appears to be just a motor driven screw thread, and from reports not a very fast acting one. DC motors are pretty constant torque so all you will do with a potentiometer is change the speed, not torque unless you make a motor driver circuit.

buying a PWM controller premade would be easier. But not make the motor any faster. And you'd need some strain feedback loop to make it work well for modulated braking I think.
Hard to make something remotely actuated and as fast acting and well modulated as a pull up handbrake with thumb release. Maybe a pneumatic system.

The estopp if it works as advertised should be a fine parking brake. And a slow acting ebrake that will slowly increase braking pressure. perhaps not ideal, but way better than nothing. Let us know how it works if you switch to this!

You have already switched to dual circuit hydraulic brakes, keeping those in good shape is the main thing. Before you put it on the road I'd test each side of the dual circuits to make sure that a failure still leaves you with pedal pressure on the nonfailed side: that the pedal does not hit the floor before the remaining circuit in the master builds pressure. If this is true, unless you have a catastrophic failure of the pedal/master unit you will be two failure points away from having to rely on the estopp as an emergency brake.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:45 PM   #35
TX3100Guy

I'll probably skip trying to invent a new way to graduate the pressure of the E-Stopp system and just go with what they provide. I just spent and hour ripping out the old foot pedal mechanism and measuring to cut a patch panel to fill in the holes on the floor and firewall. By the time it gets here, I'll be ready to try to find a suitable location and mounting system.

Old 05-15-2024, 03:10 PM   #36
leegreen

It would be pretty cool to mount a push/pull switch in the factory brake release bracket under the dash and use the original 'B' knob as the switch for the e-stopp
Old 05-15-2024, 03:55 PM   #37
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
It would be pretty cool to mount a push/pull switch in the factory brake release bracket under the dash and use the original 'B' knob as the switch for the e-stopp
Now that has me thinking!!!

Old 05-15-2024, 05:28 PM   #38
mr48chev

I forgot that fauXGT had shown his cable setup before. The cable can be run back to operate what ever rear park brake setup you have with just a bit of thinking and effort.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 03:00 PM   #39
TX3100Guy

So here is the linear actuator, now to figure out how and where to actually mount it.

Name:  IMG_5128.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  69.1 KB

Old 05-27-2024, 11:37 AM   #40
Hcb3200

take a picture of you underside above transmission. the least amount of cable turns and routes would be easy to work on test and adjust in my opinion. Just thinking the place i would look would be centered offset to one side of drive shaft or trans hump on passenger side. with a couple of crossbars between cross members. off center to allow for full suspension travel and trans. but hey there are plenty of options. if its near any exhaust runs you will want some heat shields to reflect radiant heat.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 01:04 PM   #41
leegreen

I know you are rear disk, do the brake cables still go to the original brake cross bar? If so I'd find a spot on the frame in front of the cross bar where you could bolt the estopp (or bolt a bracket to mount the estopp on) and then weld a new tab onto the cross bar for the unit to pull on.

stealing mr48chev's picture from post 25, something like this. But it could be either side or even on outside of frame rail pulling on a tab added the part that clamps on the outside of cross bar
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  91.4 KB

Last edited by leegreen; 05-27-2024 at 01:15 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #42
TX3100Guy

I have bought two c-channel steel bars that I will powder coat and bolt to the bottom of the frame to support the E-Stopp linear actuator. I just did a test fit before I start marking and drilling.

This and a few other things have become my boredom projects while I wait oin my engine rebuild. Next I am thinking of replacing the standard key operated ignition switch with a key switch that is only used to turn off the electrical power to the accessories and to provide power to a starter button. I haven't figured out the correct wiring configuration yet, but after wiring the whole truck, it can't be that hard.

Name:  IMG_5135.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  52.3 KB