The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2024, 06:52 AM   #18
jasinger01

Re: Rear Bumper Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I measured the distance from the rear of my frame to the end of the inner bracket like you showed in your photo, and I got 8.25"
Thanks for the confirmation, if the bumper is mounted in the same place relative to the frame, then my bed must be forward. but 1-2" sounds like a lot..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Good to know.

Jsinger, with that 8.25", I think you're good to go. Perhaps I didn't have to modify make-shift slotted so far forward, but I do like how mine finished. Besides, it's 8"ish I take it you have the original brackets. Them dudes are rare.
Yeah I am more confident in my brackets to frame geometry now. I may take them off and slot them slightly more towards to rear to help pull the bumper in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
Looked at your pictures again and looks like you have an aftermarket tail gate, shouldn't matter though. It must be your brackets.

From the photos doesn't look like it is sticking out too far, but in person problably looks much different, plus it's your truck and it you'd prefer it closer to the tail gate, I understand.
I do have an aftermarket tailgate and bed sides. I know that a lot of the aftermarket sheet is far from perfect, but I doubt the entire bed length is over 1" shorter. I think we've confirmed that my brackets relative to the frame seem accurate, but I may try to pull them more forward on the frame. Yeah the pictures make it look better than it does in person, it sticks pretty far out.