The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2024, 12:02 PM   #10
SCOTI

Re: Need input on coilover kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Could someone enlighten me on the point of these coilover conversions? Not being critical of people modifying these trucks, as some seem to obsess over. I really want to know. I will admit my reason for asking, or having any trace of negativity is these trucks already ride on coils and have always had a reputation for their superior ride. If there is something to learn here, please teach me.
Adjustability & adding something new/better (?).... that's it.

I'm 101% w/you on the 'Why?' of swapping to C/O's for these trucks that already have coils @ all four corners since they work great as-is. But the ability to dial in the spring rate to what the driver/owner wants is a strong attraction.

You might be ok w/stock coils 'as-is' ride feel where I might want something slightly stiffer/softer.... For this reason, I get it. But, the reality is how many actually take advantage of the C/O swap to truly dial things in vs defaulting to what comes w/the 'kit' per manufacturers recommendation/spec?? Twist the knob on the shocks. Easy enough to do. But how many actually try different spring rates (which is where the C/O swap offers more tunability)?

One of the main things I don't like about some of these recent kits is the fact that in order to keep things 'bolt-on', it limits the dimensions of the C/O. Those dimensions impact the shock & coil length which can & does impact the ride quality. Any impact on ride quality requires more tuning knowledge & sometimes (many times?) it might require compromising spring rate or shock adjustments to find a happy-medium.

The longer the spring & shock, the better the ride quality in most cases.
Any bolt-on kit that doesn't include re-worked upper/lower mounting locations are a waste of time & money IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide View Post
I have QA1 front and rear. I already had solid rear control arm so so I did not go with there’s. My Sons truck has the rear control arms, the nice thing about them is you can easily change pinion angle. I bought the full front and rear suspension with sway bars because I was tired of not finding a shock I really liked, seems I was always sacrificing something with the way it rode I now have 18 selections to choose from. Hugh difference in Handling and Ride.
While I understand this, one can get adjustable shocks + different sway-bars that work w/the OE coil spring arrangement as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-22-2024 at 12:13 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote