The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2024, 01:25 PM   #1
loudchevy

Re: "BUILD: 1970 C10 LWB--->SWB “Jumping Cholla”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post
Scott, one quick question....for the drip rails that are vertical on the back of the doors...do you use the self leveling stuff there, or would it run down due to gravity? I am hoping to get to this stage at some point soon.

Clay
Thanks Clay!
I didn't mention or show that I first put a skim coat of regular seam sealer along the whole drip rail to really get it pressed down into all the seams/joints. Once that layer setup for 15 mins, I re-taped everything and did self-leveling along the whole rail, even the vertical ends. I let gravity pull down on the sealer adding a little bit at a time until I felt there was enough to make it all the way down to the bottom of the rail. I had a little tape blocker/plug at the bottom of the vertical rail to catch any extra, but I actually nailed it pretty close and there was very little sealer to catch. I made sure the front of my cab was facing the house so the slope of the garage floor was heading downhill to the rear of the cab, it was just enough slope for the self-leveling seal to do it's thing. I used the tip of the applicator to spread out the fluid so it got all the areas covered (between rail edge and cab sheet metal) and gravity smoothed out the rest.

It's still a little tacky this morning so I don't want to touch it yet. I'm NOT going to let my impatience get the best of me, I'll wait until tomorrow morning to mess around with it if I even do anything to it.
Attached Images

2003 Tahoe Stock
1985 K5 5.3LS/4L60E|8Lug 4:56|3/4 Ton Front|14BFF Rear|Roll Cage|Dove-tailed & Bobbed
loudchevy is offline   Reply With Quote