The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2024, 09:19 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: When was the first time you had anything to do with a

I did google it Rusty and it was quite the read.. Did the Bear request being put in a Volkswagen for his last ride ?
Old 05-27-2024, 05:36 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: When was the first time you had anything to do with a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I did google it Rusty and it was quite the read.. Did the Bear request being put in a Volkswagen for his last ride ?
I'm a Texan from Beaumont and met Bear when I started working with him at the VW dealership in 1966. Around 1969 he left the dealership and opened Bear's Bug Service. That's when he built Gold Rush, the E/Gas record holder for a number of years. He also built that VW powered Econo Dragster.. Bear left Beaumont and moved to Dallas around 1979 or so. He later left Dallas after his wife committed suicide, and "went home" to Hawaii. He brought all his racing stuff with him and set up shop in Hilo. Bear continued racing his VWs and worked as a consultant with some Arizona boys building a VW powered dragster. This was in the early 2Ks. The target speed was 200 mph. With Bear's help, they got there.. Engine was VW based 3200 CC, twin turbo.. Hot VW did an article about the development.

Bear developed a large family and following while in Hawaii. The VW organization has a class called Pro Stock and Bear's final efforts were in that class. His Pro Stock VW was part of the funeral procession.. I wasn't part of the funeral, but I would not be surprised if he was inside..

https://www.facebook.com/bear.barrilleaux
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote