The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2024, 12:40 AM   #1
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Shoulder Belt Question

I have a set of Tim Korineks shoulder belts that I'm gonna put in my truck. That stud/bolt on the pillar how does it come out . Its smooth and looks like cab was painted with it installed so how do I remove it wihout scratching anything.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 01:25 AM   #2
Richard

Re: Shoulder Belt Question

If your truck never had the shoulder belts that is just a plastic plug in the thread hole. Just pop it out. If painted in place be careful not to chip the paint so much that the belt piece will not cover. running a utility knife around it may help. You will have to source the proper shouldered bolts if they are not included with the belts.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 01:26 AM   #3
chewychevy67

I believe it's just a plastic plug that you have to pull/pry out
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 02:37 AM   #4
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Thanks, my truck never had shoulder belts and bolts are included with the seat belt set.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 06-12-2024, 05:31 AM   #5
WorldsCrappiestTruck

If it never had shoulder belts, I assume you position the pivot where it’s comfortable, drill a hole then fish those backing plates up between the inner and outer skin of the cab, then bolt them down?
WorldsCrappiestTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 11:46 AM   #6
purple gas

A guy from "Seatbelt planet" told me when I asked why their 3 point kits were listed for 68 - 72 and not 67 trucks is because some 67 trucks don't have the captured nut for the shoulder belt from the factory. My 67 GMC has the bolt hole there, maybe because it was the "custom cab" model.
He said as far as he knew all the 68 - 72 and some 67's all have the built in ability to accept the shoulder belt bolt.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:48 PM   #7
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I have a set of Tim Korineks shoulder belts that I'm gonna put in my truck. That stud/bolt on the pillar how does it come out . Its smooth and looks like cab was painted with it installed so how do I remove it wihout scratching anything.
If you're talking about the little painted plug located here,

it's just a plastic plug that looks like this once you've gotten it out.

Assuming you're interior hasn't been repainted, you should be able to slip a thin piece of twine behind the head, wrap it around and pull it out without damaging the paint on your pillar. If the interior has been repainted, you would need to do as Richard said and carefully use a razor blade to separate the head of the plug from the pillar so you can slip the twine behind it.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 03:13 PM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
If you're talking about the little painted plug located here,

it's just a plastic plug that looks like this once you've gotten it out.

Assuming you're interior hasn't been repainted, you should be able to slip a thin piece of twine behind the head, wrap it around and pull it out without damaging the paint on your pillar. If the interior has been repainted, you would need to do as Richard said and carefully use a razor blade to separate the head of the plug from the pillar so you can slip the twine behind it.
Yes that is exactly the plug I'm talking about. Someone mentioned that the flat plates included with the kit would have to be dropped down in between the inner and outer cab anels and I went oh my that'll be fun. So went out to the truck and tried your twine idea but broke 3 or pieces and its still not out and was getting agitated as why do the simplist things sometimes turn into a saga so I decided to walk away for awhile. The inside of my cab has never been painted but think the plugs were installed before the cab was painted at the factory as looks like paint holding it in. What I did discover was 2 spot weld marks above and below the plug so thought they must have put a plate in every cab which surprised me as if GM could save 50 cents per vehicle they'd do it so considering the super low amount of trucks with the shouder belt option I'm surprised every cab has one. To cofirm the plate is there, from your picture I can see the threads with the plug out.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2024, 03:27 PM   #9
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Yes that is exactly the plug I'm talking about. Someone mentioned that the flat plates included with the kit would have to be dropped down in between the inner and outer cab anels and I went oh my that'll be fun. So went out to the truck and tried your twine idea but broke 3 or pieces and its still not out and was getting agitated as why do the simplist things sometimes turn into a saga so I decided to walk away for awhile. The inside of my cab has never been painted but think the plugs were installed before the cab was painted at the factory as looks like paint holding it in. What I did discover was 2 spot weld marks above and below the plug so thought they must have put a plate in every cab which surprised me as if GM could save 50 cents per vehicle they'd do it so considering the super low amount of trucks with the shouder belt option I'm surprised every cab has one. To cofirm the plate is there, from your picture I can see the threads with the plug out.
Twine may not have been the right word for me to use. Some type of stranded line that is thin but strong. I have some stuff that I've had for years that probably came from one of the big box home stores that fits the bill. Most guys pry them out with a flat head screwdriver but that risks damaging the paint.

It's my understanding that if a truck has those plastic plugs, there will be a receiving nut behind them. The plugs were there to cover up the hole that would be used for those rare accessory shoulder belts that were available for our trucks at the time. My plugs are the same color as my interior, gold, and my interior has never been repainted.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872

Last edited by cericd; 06-12-2024 at 04:28 PM. Reason: clarification
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:15 PM   #10
LS short box

Couple of ways to get the plug out. On one side of the plug lay down some masking to protect the paint. Then using a thin putty knife just pry it out.
Or along the twine idea go to the bait shop and get some braided fish line (20-30 LB) and try that as its much more thinner than any twine.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:51 PM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Couple of ways to get the plug out. On one side of the plug lay down some masking to protect the paint. Then using a thin putty knife just pry it out.
Or along the twine idea go to the bait shop and get some braided fish line (20-30 LB) and try that as its much more thinner than any twine.
Was thinking fishing line.

Old 06-12-2024, 05:34 PM   #12
Jeff M.

I worked the edges a bit then was able to unscrew the plugs from mine.
Old 06-12-2024, 07:19 PM   #13
Lee H

Ha, the picture of the plugs on top of the chevy stool is mine. I was looking for it to post in this thread. I have about 40 plugs, I collected them many years ago when these trucks where plentiful in the wrecking yards along with a lot of other stuff like 72 only door screws and ferrules, the ones by the wing window. Most of the plugs broke trying to extract them.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:42 PM   #14
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Stabbed it needle nose pliers and turned them out
Old 06-12-2024, 10:23 PM   #15
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Ha, the picture of the plugs on top of the chevy stool is mine. I was looking for it to post in this thread. I have about 40 plugs, I collected them many years ago when these trucks where plentiful in the wrecking yards along with a lot of other stuff like 72 only door screws and ferrules, the ones by the wing window. Most of the plugs broke trying to extract them.

HA! Well you found it LOL! I've come here to the forum a few times to find pics I posted and lost.

My plugs were easily removed with my fingers...they came right out.

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:40 PM   #16
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I think (in '70) CST came with shoulder harness. The holes were there when I got the truck. FiL pulled the belts. ?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:46 PM   #17
PbFut

I would think that that plug is screwed not pushed in. Or pushed in and threads have a good bite on the plug. I would try to cut any paint at the contact point and then unscrew not pull. I was just in this area for hours fishing a wire today. You have the factory mounts luckily so you get to avoid setting those plates.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 01:34 AM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

My '67 K/10 Suburban had that shoulder belt mounting nut. I pulled the one out of the Passenger Side B Pillar and threaded a bolt in, holding a pear ring carabiner. On the Drivers Side rear door arch, there was a similar weld nut intended for a Barn Door pivot. [I have a lift Hatch and Tailgate.] I mounted another bolt holding another pear ring carabiner so I could clip the end rings of a hammock, run diagonally from left rear to right front. It was a replica navy canvas hammock, as in the days of sail. Great when camping.
I let a friend drive around some mild hills to test it out. My body swung with the centrifugal force -- opposite the direction of turn, then swung back. It was quite relaxing. Probably illegal. Be easier to get away with it in a Panel Truck.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-13-2024 at 01:41 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote