The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2024, 08:45 AM   #1
marina blue bob

1967 K20 Adjust rear wheel bearings after new seal install

Hey Guys: Need help from anyone who has replaced rear axle seals on HO52 axle and adjusted rear wheel bearings after.
- The GM Service Manual states: torque outer lock nut to 175 ft lbs. I tried it and it just does not work. The lock ring gets distorted and worse, the bearing load it creates causes so much drag, the hub turn is way too stiff.
- I ended up torqueing the outer lock nut to 45 ft. lbs. and it all seemed ok. No wheel bearing end play. Hub turned freely. Ear of lock ring tab bent into a recess of lock nut as per manual.
- My question: have others run into this? Reluctant to think Service Manual is wrong, but 175 ft. lb torque spec for outer lock nut just does not work. (maybe a typo - shoulda been 75 ft. lbs. ??)
What have you other guys done?
Appreciate any thoughts, advice. Thanks.
marina blue bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 10:06 AM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: 1967 K20 Adjust rear wheel bearings after new seal install

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina blue bob View Post
Hey Guys: Need help from anyone who has replaced rear axle seals on HO52 axle and adjusted rear wheel bearings after.
- The GM Service Manual states: torque outer lock nut to 175 ft lbs. I tried it and it just does not work. The lock ring gets distorted and worse, the bearing load it creates causes so much drag, the hub turn is way too stiff.
- I ended up torqueing the outer lock nut to 45 ft. lbs. and it all seemed ok. No wheel bearing end play. Hub turned freely. Ear of lock ring tab bent into a recess of lock nut as per manual.
- My question: have others run into this? Reluctant to think Service Manual is wrong, but 175 ft. lb torque spec for outer lock nut just does not work. (maybe a typo - shoulda been 75 ft. lbs. ??)
I am waaaaaay out of my element here but I'll toss this in, if for no other reason than to showcase my ignorance.

When you say rear wheel bearings and axle seals, I'm thinking the outer ends of the axle, where the wheels are.

When you say 175 ft lbs, I'm thinking pinion seal at the front of the differential.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 11:22 AM   #3
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina blue bob View Post
What you did should work just fine. When i do them on the floating axles I snug the nut up as I spin the hub so as to get all the end play out of it. Once you get to the point where you can feel light drag on the hub from the bearing back the nut off and torque it to around 50 ft/lbs and call it good.
Not sure where they got 175 from that’s way too much.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:36 PM   #4
marina blue bob

Thanks for the reply Tyler; your confirmation is much appreciated. Never caught a mistake in a factory shop manual before, but 175 ft. lbs. seemed all wrong. That left me wondering ... go by what I know to be correct, that is, preload while spinning hub, no end play and hub smooth spin.
---Further confusing it was both the wheel bearing retaining nut and jam nut were finger tight when I disassembled the hub. It was that way for 20 years from the last shop who worked on the truck.
--- It's been about 20 years since I had hubs apart; felt a little rusty - me not the hub.
---By the way, the rear hubs show an infrared temp reading of Left side 103 deg. and Right side 99 deg. on the test drive. Temps seem ok.

Last edited by marina blue bob; 06-24-2024 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:39 PM   #5
Dashman

This is what my Haynes manual states:

"26)...tighten the adjusting nut to 50 ft-lbs while rotating the wheel, then back the nut off 90 degrees. 27) While continuing to rotate the wheel, retighten the nut to 35 ft-lbs, and then back it off 3/8 turn. 28) Install the lock ring and pin, turning the adjusting nut only far enough so the pin will engage the nearest notch. 29) Install the lock nut. Tighten the locknut to 50 ft-lbs on 1967 through 1971 models or to 80 to 100 ft-lbs on 1972 through 1976 models."

What's the deal with changing from 90 degrees to 3/8 of a turn? The only sense I was able to make of any of it, is to positively seat the bearings. I stayed consistent with reducing the torque by 15 ft-lbs, and loosening the nut enough to where the wheel would rotate again. I believe I settled with 20 ft-lbs on the adjusting nut, and 80 ft-lbs on the lock nut. At some point, a person could strip the threads on the spindle.
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 06:45 PM   #6
marina blue bob

Thanks Dashman. I appreciate your reply too. It's really nice to read directions like yours that are detailed, specific and easy to follow.
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM   #7
Jason Banks

Does your HO52 still have the barrel shaped rear bearings?

I recently replaced the rear bearings on my 1967 K20 with the tapered bearings that are more common today. I treated them like I do other tapered roller bearings, where I tighten until hard to turn and back off some to free turning.

I think the service manual procedure is for the factory type NDH Barrel Roller Bearings. If you look at the bearing itself, the bearings are barrel shaped and not straight cylindrical. If you look at the race the bearings ride in, it is concave.

Have you discovered Torque King for parts for your truck yet?

Here's a link to their bearing set they sell, but I have called them a couple times and they have been very helpful.

https://torqueking.com/product/8371/...52-ho72-axles/

If you read their descriptions it talks about the NDH (New Departure Hyatt) bearings.

Have you discovered ChaparrallMan1974's build thread yet? He recently went through his whole chassis.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote