The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2024, 04:00 PM   #1
vintovka

Re: 55 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

[QUOTE=VWNate1;9320938
There is a company called (IIRC) "Trique" that makes modern day door latch kits for your '54, they're safer too .[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid the door is so bent that hinges would need a major tweak before any latch would work. The fit is so bad i don't want to even post a pic so ignoring it for now. Maybe if i can find someone who can really fix it i'll do something about it.

While distracting myself i thought i would up grade my vacuum gauge before the show this last weekend. Bought a real fancy one with adjustable colored leds and other feature from a "big name" maker. BAD IDEA!. Worked great for a couple hours then needle jammed on max vacuum reading and it started flashing all sorts of lights. The engine immediately lost power, had it towed to a shop and missed the show. They found that the electronic module that connects to the engines vacuum leaked and was sending bad info to the gauge, They also said It leaked so much it about damaged the plugs from being way too lean. This well known company and their rep blew me off even after i provided all the receipts. Seems the gauge is no longer available after jut 4 months. Will give them a week then will post their name here and 3 dozen other forums + BBB. Seems i can't catch a break with both hands and net.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 11:39 AM   #2
VWNate1

Post Vendors

Sigh ~ I hear you cry .

How about a pic of said vacuum gauge ? .

Being old I understand and really like vacuum gauges, I have an old "Motor Minder" typ one that has colored graduations on the gauge's face .

You're still alive and having fun with something you've had for fifty years ~ I'm say that's catching a seriously good break .

I'm also old and still plodding away, all 'round me others are dying and it's driving me crazy(er) .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 12:25 PM   #3
vintovka

Re: Vendors

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Sigh ~ I hear you cry .

How about a pic of said vacuum gauge ? .

You're still alive and having fun with something you've had for fifty years ~ I'm say that's catching a seriously good break .

I'm also old and still plodding away, all 'round me others are dying and it's driving me crazy(er) .
Your right. Still this side of dirt and i good health is all that matters. The truck is a joy to drive and NEVER made it more than a mile without making someone smile, wave, honk or even follow me to talk!!

As for the crap gauge, If they don't get back to me i will not only post a pic but documentation showing these electronic gauges are not only defective but may cause damage. Think they know all about it and gone into duck and cover mode as all traces of this model gauge has miraculously disappeared from the net. FWIW i have an acquaintance at one of the major car magazines where they advertise plus about 10 forums. Not a good time to sell shoddy stuff unless your a beer maker. I would caution any gauge that can interfere with your engine should be avoided.

i have a Auto Gage mechanical on the way. The offender is back in the box safely away from the vehicle.

Somewhere i have a "mileage minder" gauge i bought in 70's sitting around new in box. Will look.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:14 PM   #4
VWNate1

Angry Bad Vendors

If you bought it via credit card you should be able to reverse the charge by telling your C.C. they refused to honor the warranty .

Please do widely share the name of the maker and the seller too as they should be standing behind anything they sell .
Old 06-27-2024, 09:06 PM   #5
vintovka

Re: Bad Vendors

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
If you bought it via credit card you should be able to reverse the charge by telling your C.C. they refused to honor the warranty .

Please do widely share the name of the maker and the seller too as they should be standing behind anything they sell .
Filed a dispute already, both vendor and maker actually fighting it. I don't think i am the first or alone in this issue as they seem very accustomed to complaints and skirting stuff like excluding customized vehicles. Might be a turning point for relying on CC's to defend users.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:01 PM   #6
VWNate1

Post Bad Vendors

That's terrible .

A while back I was talking to the help person on my card (YES ! a real person and in America !) and she said "no worries, we're behind it for years, as far back as we have records of the purchase .

I was flabbergasted and said thainx but I managed to get my issue sorted out by applying firm and *polite* pressure along with plenty of documentation .

Best of luck to you Sir .