The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2024, 11:26 PM   #1
Luke87gt

Bought a new Steering wheel with Horn

Hi all,

I purchased a new 15” steering wheel (with horn) for my ‘69.

It didn’t come with any directions so I could use a quick tutorial on how to wire up the horn. To make matters worse, my existing steering wheel doesn’t have the horn wired up, just a loose wire so I can’t just follow what was there previously.

Does anyone have a link or a diagram? I imagine this to be really straight forward but want to be sure.

Thank you!

Wanted (pm me):
- Pair of 275/60/15 tires
Luke87gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 11:53 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Bought a new Steering wheel with Horn

Unless wires have been added by some PO, there are no wires for the horn above the turn signal switch.. The ground wire for the horn relay windings is in the turn signal switch harness.. The turn signal switch has a brass spring-loaded button sticking straight up.. The brass ring on the back of the cancel cam contacts this button when the cam is installed on the steering shaft. On the top side of the cancel cam is a tubular part also sticking straight up. It has a twist lock connection similar to a small bulb socket. This protrusion passes up through a hole in the stock steering wheel and rotates with the wheel.. Another spring loaded button fits in the socket of that protrusion. The horn button, its contact ring and cup are all held in place by three special configured screws. When the horn button is depressed, the horn relay is grounded through all the above described components, down through the ground wire that goes to the horn relay.. If all is properly functioning, the horn will blow...

This is how all the factory designed components come into play.. If you have an aftermarket steering wheel, you'll need to follow the instructions that came with it to explain how and what parts are necessary to complete the installation. Without those instructions, it's anybody's guess as to how it is assembled. Some pictures might help...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 09:45 AM   #3
68bowtie

Here’s a diagram from LMC

Name:  IMG_6123.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  48.1 KB

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 10:01 AM   #4
Luke87gt

Thank you guys for the input!

I’ve attached a pic of the starting point, 13inch
Attached Images

Wanted (pm me):
- Pair of 275/60/15 tires
Luke87gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 02:25 PM   #5
RustyPile

That appears to be a Grant steering wheel. That wire passes through the steering wheel and wheel adaptor and connects to the factory cancel cam. You're missing the button and spring. The button presses onto the edge of the round contact in the picture that has the wire attached to it.. The spring sits on the steering shaft and holds the button and contact ring up away from the steering wheel.. When the button is depressed, the ring contacts the wheel, thus completing the ground path for the horn relay windings and the horn blows.

It's a cheap design that has been around probably since the late '50s - early '60s.. As the system ages, the composite material of the contact ring looses its ability to grip the button. It gives way and the button falls off. This allows the ring to contact the wheel and the horn starts blowing at the most inopportune time. Ask me how I know.....

If you want a good quality aftermarket steering wheel, take a look at the Lecarra line of wheels offered by Lokar.. They are relatively expensive but of extremely high quality..

https://lokar.com/

Last edited by RustyPile; 07-04-2024 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 07-04-2024, 11:11 PM   #6
RustyPile

If you decide to stick with that Grant wheel, here's a link to an installation kit that contains all the necessary parts except the horn button to make it work...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/g...ckup/year/1969
Old 07-05-2024, 03:34 PM   #7
LNP

If you're bought a stock 15" wheel I can take phots of the horn setup on mine its a 69 as well

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote