The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2024, 03:06 PM   #1
Tempest67

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
Final install on new 3" exhaust, this time out to rear bumper by way of rear trailing arms.

tacked up
Attachment 2374878

painted and ready to go back
Attachment 2374879

If anyone can cut and weld and is thinking about doing their own exhaust, these universal U bend kits you can get from car parts places or amazon are a good deal.
One kit like this https://www.kmstools.com/universal-d...haust-kit.html has done 3 exhaust systems now and still has some bends left.
Add your muffler of choice, a v-band clamp or two and some hangers and go for it.
Nice routing that exhaust, from Drivers side to Pass side. and thanks for the tip on the universal pipe kits, as I wasn't sure what to do, but you have convinced me to give it a try. (when the time comes)
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 03:34 PM   #2
leegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
Nice routing that exhaust, from Drivers side to Pass side. and thanks for the tip on the universal pipe kits, as I wasn't sure what to do, but you have convinced me to give it a try. (when the time comes)
Driver's side has panhard bar in the way and my DS rear fender mounted fuel fill tends to burp gas if you fill it too fast so I really wanted tailpipe on pass side.

If we had not had a half box of 3" bends in the shop I'd probably have gone 2.5" as I was worried about how hard snaking the exhaust through the suspension was going to be. This bend kit has one end of each piece expanded for a slip joint - that makes it a lot easier to have things hanging in place and still be able to adjust angle and length a bit before tacking. This actually went a lot easier than I expected and that duplicates the experience my son had doing a custom exhaust under LS swapped 91 z28 and my experience doing LS Swapped Sonoma. It was easier in all three cases than anticipated.

I do recommend getting some Vband clamps like https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N9LO3UA/ expensive but worth it to make things easily removable. I'd consider cutting the flange off your headers and welding vband on too. Just do all welding with the bands clamped together.

And good hangers. I actually scrounged rubber hangers and the steel supports from GM trucks at local pickapart for this, the enlarged end of factory style hanger support is much better than just straight rod. I welded the supports onto bar stock as needed to make mounts I could bolt to frame. Pipe was held in position and hanging in a web of bailing wire while I sorted hanger locations out. some tire lube makes getting the rubber hangers on and off a lot easier
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 03:54 PM   #3
Tempest67

I saw that panhard bar.

I have started a new project , 1958 Pontiac wagon, https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849781, and it has the X frame, so routing duals on that could be a challenge, but I am a long way from doing that, but good to know those kits are easy to work with.

Thanks again for the info, I enjoy seeing your work
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 07:09 PM   #4
Oldtruckwelder

Finished up with installing new door skin and adjust gaps on driver side door and spraying epoxy primer before starting body work.
Attached Images

Oldtruckwelder is offline   Reply With Quote