The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2024, 04:12 PM   #1
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

I moved the truck in 4 wheel drive on gravel and heard the front wheels working, yet the indicator lights were not illuminated. I studied the schematic more and searched on-line for discussions about this system. The one light is supposed to be on all the time with the key power on to indicate the system is getting power, that is the backlight for the 4x4 console. The second light comes on when the 4x4 engages. I replaced the bulbs and now they are working. Awhile ago I had purchased a timing light. When I replaced the distributor I set in in near where the old one was and the engine ran fine. I had never used a timing light, I think I adjusted timing by ear on a points system I had once. The timing light was easy to use. I saw the timing was advanced quite a bit. I turned the distributor until the mark was at the first notch. The idle came way down, so the timing was the reason the idle was high.
Moving on to the floor. I had moved the battery to the engine bay, and now there is frame and exhaust below the hatch. There is still some room there and I thought about adding storage. I kept a lookout for a metal box and recently purchased a Makita tool case from an estate sale. I have yet to modify and attach the box. The transmission floor cover was hacked up pretty well at the restoration shop. I added some sheet metal to reduce the size of the cut-outs. I used Oxy-Acetylene. I got it dialed in by the time I was almost done. The panel warped some, but I think the tension will add to it’s strength. Ospho and paint for the floor panels. I fit the rubber floor mat first and then took it out. Thermal and sound barrier applied to the sheet metal, on top of that I placed a fiber mat. Finally the rubber mat on top, I didn’t get a picture of that and I still need to trim the fiber mat around the edges.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote