The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2024, 07:03 PM   #1
bautino95

any new direct fit parallel flow condensers for factory fit AC

Hi everyone. I recently got my truck back on the road and converted my AC system to r134. I recently had a post about high pressures with a low charge amount. anyways, I have a new aluminum A6 compressor, new lines, new dryer flushed evap. and condenser and calibrated my POA valve for r134 and reusing my expansion valve. Like I said in the previous post I was get high pressure with a low charge. So I thought it might be the expansion valve. but since I've evacuated the system again, I think I'm going to go ahead and replaced the condenser to a parallel flow to help get the pressures down.
I did a search about replacement condensers, but they all seem several years old. Does anyone know of a direct replacement parallel flow condenser for a factory AC setup. So far, I think I found one from Old Air Products that will fit with some brackets and supplied lines like this. but thought I should throw this out there. Thanks
https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...enser-assembly
bautino95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 09:30 PM   #2
Sheepdip

Re: any new direct fit parallel flow condensers for factory fit AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bautino95 View Post
Hi everyone. I recently got my truck back on the road and converted my AC system to r134. I recently had a post about high pressures with a low charge amount. anyways, I have a new aluminum A6 compressor, new lines, new dryer flushed evap. and condenser and calibrated my POA valve for r134 and reusing my expansion valve. Like I said in the previous post I was get high pressure with a low charge. So I thought it might be the expansion valve. but since I've evacuated the system again, I think I'm going to go ahead and replaced the condenser to a parallel flow to help get the pressures down.
I did a search about replacement condensers, but they all seem several years old. Does anyone know of a direct replacement parallel flow condenser for a factory AC setup. So far, I think I found one from Old Air Products that will fit with some brackets and supplied lines like this. but thought I should throw this out there. Thanks
I have basically the same set up as you and sourced my compressor from Old Air Products all my other parts including the condenser from LMC Truck including my parallel multi pass loop-i-di loop condenser. I never counted them but it makes 15 or 20 passes as it goes to the bottom.
I enjoy Ice Cold A/C as a note I also replaced the A/C evaporator and heater core, lots of flow obstructing debris found in there.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 09:47 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Do you have a link for parallel flow condenser on LMC's website? I am not able to find it and can't find it in the printed catalog either.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 10:40 PM   #4
Sheepdip

I could not find it either so I went out and looked....mines is not a parallel flow it's the same as the LMC Catalog . Old Air does or did sell individual component's.. give them a call as they say they are a bolt in fit.

https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...mplete-package
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 01:03 AM   #5
howzzzit

Quote:
Did you check the expansion valve operation? Might be buying a condenser and have the same problem.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 01:13 AM   #6
bautino95

I plan on replacing the exspansion valve regardless at this point since the system is empty and the valve is pretty cheap.
One question since we're talking about the exspansion valve. Where is the correct position for the capillary bulb to be mounted? If anyone has pictures that would be good. If I remember correctly, it's actually inside the case, but I want to say I think I've seen some mounted just outside the case.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:48 PM   #7
425HP409
425hp409

Quote:
I plan on replacing the exspansion valve regardless at this point since the system is empty and the valve is pretty cheap.
One question since we're talking about the exspansion valve. Where is the correct position for the capillary bulb to be mounted? If anyone has pictures that would be good. If I remember correctly, it's actually inside the case, but I want to say I think I've seen some mounted just outside the case.
The capillary tube mounts on the evaporator outlet pipe, clamped securely and wrapped with AC tape.
64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:41 AM   #8
bautino95

Thanks for the reply. But does it matter where on the evaporator outlet tube? Does it need to be inside the evaporator cover ( more work) Or can it be just outside the cover ( less work)? Wrapped of course. Thanks
Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM   #9
Richard

The evaporator exit tube goes directly out of the case. There is no place to put it inside the case. The bulb just needs to be put on the exit of evaporator. Not a big deal.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote