The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2024, 10:46 AM   #1
harrisdaniel1022

52 step side frame swap.

Hey, I am trying to decide what frame to get to swap my 52 single cab step side truck onto. The only reason I am swapping it is there is lots of rust holes in the original frame. Will this body fit on a 2006 Colorado extended cab frame?

Last edited by harrisdaniel1022; 07-18-2024 at 01:15 AM.
harrisdaniel1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 01:07 AM   #2
Lokin4AReason

Re: 52 step side frame swap.

there is some difference in lenght

maybe if there is a pull a part or pick n pull , you could possibility in taking measurements

2006 colorado
https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/co...eatures-specs/

62 c10 wheel base lenght
https://automuseumonline.com/1962-ch...l-details.html

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 07-19-2024 at 09:29 PM.
Lokin4AReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 01:13 AM   #3
harrisdaniel1022

What if I just cut a little length out of the middle of the frame and then splice it back together and put plate steel on it to strengthen the cut part? I am sorry I put the wrong year, the truck is a 52 Chevy single cab step side.

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 07-19-2024 at 09:29 PM.
harrisdaniel1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #4
dsraven

you probably should get some actual dimensions from your truck so you have something to compare with. you may also need to figure out what you want the truck to be when it is all grown up. a truck that has a set of huge width rear tires will likely need a whole new rear frame section that is narrowed to allow that. in that case you need to look for a donor frame that has what you want for front suspension etc. if you want to stick with something more normal in the tire width area so it is more of a daily driver and comfort is more appealing than being an inch off the ground then that also changes the range of what is available for donors. if you plan to modify the suspension then finding something that has a good aftermarket following for parts is kinda important. that is why the S10 has been used for a lot of frame swaps on the AD trucks, lots of aftermarket support for air bag suspension, lowering parts, different control arm lengths, etc etc. joedoh, a member here, sells a mount kit for the S10 frame swap and if interested a private message to him could answer a lot of questions.
dimensions you might wanna know before looking for a donor
width from inside the rolled fender lips front and rear
desired tire width and outside diameter when truck is done. makes a difference, especially on the front axle, when it comes time to turn the steering. otherwise the tires rub the fenders
amount of dish you want in the wheels when all done (makes a difference for width of axles from wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange)
frame width, not that this is a big deal because you will be fabbing up new body mounts anyway
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote