The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 01:26 PM   #1
72timemachine

Are my spark plugs still misfiring?

Hello,

I recently blew a head gasket or two a few weeks ago on my 1990, c2500, 5.7 ltr. engine. Upon removing the spark plugs, I found suspicious yellow deposits on cylinders 2 and 4 and while the old head gasket did not look damaged where the two cylinders are closest together, side by side, I was thinking this could be burned coolant which left these yellowish deposits on the ceramic which I have never seen before.

The number 7 cylinder head's gasket in the top right corner had obvious damage and allowed coolant and oil from the nearby oil return hole to enter the cylinder and burn off creating smoke and steam out the tailpipe. I bought new factory spec heads, head gasket set, new bolts, used a bottom tap to clean out the bolt hole threads in the block, resealed the intake, double and triple checked all my head bolts, intake bolts and set the valve lash at 3/4 of a turn once I had all the play out of the push rods. I tightened the rocker arms to the point where you could just roll the push rod with your fingers but no tighter, then I applied 3/4 of a turn to set them. Some say 3/4 of a turn, and some say 1 whole turn. I suppose I can always add the 1/4 turn if needed but I do not have any noises and the truck does run good except for a skip under acceleration which leads to my question.

After doing a lot of reading here and on the internet, I see that there are so many things which can cause a skip...everything from bad grounds to vacuum leaks to everything in between. When I was driving for a very short while with a blown head gasket, I am sure the truck picked up a skip in the number cylinder because when I removed that spark plug, the oil leaking into the cylinder from the oil return hole did leave wet oil on the spark plug.

Since reassembling the entire upper half of the engine, I have been trying to hunt down this skip which you only feel under acceleration. I used a lawn mower to visually prove that each spark plug was giving me spark and I purposely attached the alligator ground clamp to the ground electrode in order to direct the spark to jump across the gap because I thought that if the ceramic was cracked around the center electrode that it may prove there was damage to the plug if it consistently DID NOT fire the spark across the gap to the ground electrode but out of the crack of the ceramic which could possibly be the cause of my skip. I did this with all 8 spark plugs and when I tested them using the magneto of the lawn mower, they were consistent and seemed to fire properly. I understand you can test a spark plug at several different point on the plug, however, an ohm meter will not tell you if the ceramic is cracked, right? I cleaned the plugs as best I could and re-gaped them to .035. the center electrode is still nice and square. I set the timing to 0 after disconnecting the tan and white wire as directed on my tuned up sticker under the hood.

My plug wires are factory GM and only a few years old, however, short of testing them with an ohm meter (10,000 or less ohms per foot no?) I hooked up my timing light to each wire to see if I had consistent pulses of light coming from the gun...they all pulsed consistently. I then used a spray bottle of water to squirt a little water on the hot exhaust port to see if I had a cold or misfiring plug, however, the water burned off immediately on all 8 exhaust ports.

Last night I parked in a very dark location and sprayed my wires, coil and distributor cap with water, I soaked it pretty good and only saw two tiny sparks just one time from two different plug wires which where touching the dipstick and transmission dipstick tube. I plan to insulate these tubes today by zip tying some old heater and vacuum hose to the tubes to insulate them from the wires.

Is it likely I still have a faulty spark plug after running these tests? I have no problem buying new plugs, however, replacing plugs which appear to have no issues is not solving the problem. I do not want to take anything for granted and I am trying to check possible causes off the list. My truck has around 150,000 miles on it and the engine runs very well as I am proactive with taking care of it and do not drive it hard but when you drop the hammer, it really takes off for heavy truck.

Thank you for any help, it would be most appreciated.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote