The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #1
truckster

1000+ HP, anyone?

The upcoming Corvette ZR1 will boast 1,064 horsepower. Expect to pay a pretty penny for it, though:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025...t-look-review/
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #2
weq92f

Re: 1000+ HP, anyone?

Couple takeaways...

Dual clutch 8 speed tranny
It's boosted
Only 800 lb-ft of torque
Tires: An All season set would cost 1600 plus install. A decent performance tire would cost 2100 + install. The optional Cup 2R rubbers would run 2600 + install.
Prototype ran 9.7 second quarter mile...faster than the previous ZR1

From the article:

At full chat, the engine runs on 20 psi of boost with so much air pumping through the cylinders that the exhaust exiting the four tailpipes pushes the car with 37 pounds of thrust.

I wanna see one of these moving on thrust alone! Put in neutral and redline the engine.

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:34 AM   #3
D.B

The 1064hp is on pump gas. Try E85 and the numbers could be 1400hp+.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #4
Sheepdip

Can only use about 30% of that horsepower on the street where 90% of these will end up.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #5
Accelo

I am unsure how anyone could get one. The current Z06 production is sold out for five years. MSRP starts From $110,100 for the Z06. Dealers are asking $160 to $170K for an optioned one. This ZR1 has to be for people with an extra $500K plus in their checking account. Still half-price when compared to the other Super Cars out there. None of my friends have yet to offer me a ride in their new Lambo. Sad story!
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:02 PM   #6
Ironhorse

Does anyone else besides me remember years ago in late 1969 - early 1970 the uproar from both the Gubment and nation wide insurance companies about the on-going "horse power wars" during the muscle car days? They all were screaming that factory offerings of 375, 400, 425, 450 horse power cars was just too much for the average driver to safely handle and control. Thus started the de-tuning of cars which included moving to unleaded gasoline, lower compression, smog pumps, etc.

Now here we are 50 years later and factory cars with 800 - 1,000 horse power no longer seems to be a problem for Mr. & Mrs "average driver" WTH changed!! I know drivers haven't gotten better thru the years. I see that everyday in traffic, cutting in front of moving traffic across three lanes to make a turn at the next exit. Leaving no reaction time/distance between vehicles on the road. Road rage, bumper to bumper commonplace on highways at speed. Speed limits are ignored, maybe they are just a suggestion anymore.

Just the other day in the local evening news a driver was stopped driving in mid-day traffic while doing 106 MPH in a 60 MPH cross town, no stop light, roadway. What am I not seeing here with this new "horse power wars" situation. ??????
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; Today at 05:10 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:48 PM   #7
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Does anyone else besides me remember years ago in late 1969 - early 1970 the uproar from both the Gubment and nation wide insurance companies about the on-going "horse power wars" during the muscle car days? They all were screaming that factory offerings of 375, 400, 425, 450 horse power cars was just too much for the average driver to safely handle and control. Thus started the de-tuning of cars which included moving to unleaded gasoline, lower compression, smog pumps, etc.

Now here we are 50 years later and factory cars with 800 - 1,000 horse power no longer seems to be a problem for Mr. & Mrs "average driver" WTH changed!! I know drivers haven't gotten better thru the years. I see that everyday in traffic, cutting in front of moving traffic across three lanes to make a turn at the next exit. Leaving no reaction time/distance between vehicles on the road. Road rage, bumper to bumper commonplace on highways at speed. Speed limits are ignored, maybe they are just a suggestion anymore.

Just the other day in the local evening news a driver was stopped driving in mid-day traffic while doing 106 MPH in a 60 MPH cross town, no stop light, roadway. What am I not seeing here with this new "horse power wars" situation. ??????

I think what may be overlooked is that during 60s and 70s muscle car era, the cars being produced and sold to Joe Blow were far more pedestrian than today's super cars, high end models of production vehicles, special built machines or those that are sold to the public from manufacturers as race cars or track ready. The main difference between today and back then is that for someone to purchase a 700 or 1000 HP machine, the cash outlay or liability is absolutely enormous. Typically Joe Blow, your regular family man or student couldn't possibly afford to get their but in the seat of one of these scary fast, over powered vehicles without knowing what's on the line (say he rents an exotic in Vegas for a day and has to read the fine print).

If a guy does purchase a new ZR1 for example, his insurance rates are going to be in line with what it would cost to repair/replace that vehicle. Think very large premiums on a vehicle that MSRPs between 130k and 150k.

Plus...the insurance agencies are today much different with way more expensive policies being written and the majority of those are total daily driver/beaters.

I think it's just a different animal altogether.

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:03 PM   #8
1slo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post

Technology, so many computers and programs control what can be put to the ground. You no longer have to be a good driver to control these modern vehicles.
1slo64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:11 PM   #9
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post

I think what may be overlooked is that during 60s and 70s muscle car era, the cars being produced and sold to Joe Blow were far more pedestrian than today's super cars, high end models of production vehicles, special built machines or those that are sold to the public from manufacturers as race cars or track ready. The main difference between today and back then is that for someone to purchase a 700 or 1000 HP machine, the cash outlay or liability is absolutely enormous. Typically Joe Blow, your regular family man or student couldn't possibly afford to get their but in the seat of one of these scary fast, over powered vehicles without knowing what's on the line (say he rents an exotic in Vegas for a day and has to read the fine print).

If a guy does purchase a new ZR1 for example, his insurance rates are going to be in line with what it would cost to repair/replace that vehicle. Think very large premiums on a vehicle that MSRPs between 130k and 150k.

Plus...the insurance agencies are today much different with way more expensive policies being written and the majority of those are total daily driver/beaters.

I think it's just a different animal altogether.

-Kevin
Actually Corvettes aren’t all that expensive to insure . It’s all about risk . When I had an insurance agency people were shocked when their new little civic was twice the price of their Camaro or other similar car like a Camry . But at the time the civic was the car for ricers who weren’t all that good at driving . And were involved in more accidents per 100k vehicles

And you can get classic insurance on a new vette since I reality people don’t buy them as a primary driver . A lot if the downsizing of HP in the 70s was more because of the lack of gas and the new emissions standards . I work in a gas station during both gas shortages in the 70s . Nobody wanted a muscle car when high test was 50 cents a gallon at least for an everyday vehicle . Now you can 700 plus HP and full emissions control and get high 20 to 30 mpg
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote