The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 08:55 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Re: 1000+ HP, anyone?

My posting to the thread was not so much concerned with the cost of insurance but more to the change in attitude concerning high horsepower engines. I came home from Vietnam in April of '70 and gas was in the $0.26 to $0.28 per gallon range for 89 octane leaded fuel. There was no US gas shortage until it came about in 1973 with the first oil crunch when OPEC was formed. It is true that the muscle cars fell victim to the higher fuel prices later after the 69-70 production times but the de-tuning and lower compression was the government's push to bring down the horse power available to the masses.

I would still like to know why the change in allowing 800 plus horse power engines in vehicles today regardless of the new tech incorporated in the vehicle when a mere 450 horsepower could not be allowed to continue in production cars from years ago? Again, WTH changed with allowing the horse power ratings made available from the factory today?
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; Today at 09:02 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: 1000+ HP, anyone?

Thinking it’s not that anything changed . My Chevelle gets about 10 mpg if I take it easy on it . Back in the day when gas was going up that was unacceptable. Fast forward now I can have a faster car with twice the HP and get milage that a Honda Accord of the late 70s got . Still high HP cars aren’t really the norm today . Sure high end vehicles tend to be higher horsepower but they aren’t a high percentage of cars on the road . Technology made it possible to have both .

Who is allowing it ? High horsepower wasn’t outlawed it just wasn’t feasible with the old tech and still get lower emissions and high mpg .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote