The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #1
'64C20

California Vin Verification

Anyone know someone in the Sacramento area who is hip on these trucks? Need to do a vin verification, CHP is hit and miss and ny loal DMV doesnt do 1987 and older vehicles.

Its a builder 1950 3600 that came out a field, origonal owner lost the title im a fire and the truck is out of the system. Has a partial 6 cyl engine, but the origonal serial number plate.

Any help is appreciated!
'64C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #2
vintovka

Re: California Vin Verification

Good luck. One of the reasons its easier to leave the state and live elsewhere
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #3
JDarby

Californucation baby, thats what I'm talk'n bout!

Hello Tejas, best state in the 48 contiguous states!

Closed Borders! Open carrie law's!!

Easy Peazey when it comes to Street Rods and Such!!

Come Join Us!!!
2014 TRD Quad CAB
JDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:01 AM   #4
Rickysnickers

If you are a AAA member, they used to do them.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23 AM   #5
mick53

I bought my 53 from the back lot of a dealer in Orange county in 1980. I just took the paperwork to the DMV and got plates. About 5 years later I was living in Desert Hot Springs and got pulled over. The police officer noticed my Vin didn't match my registration. I had to take it to the CHP garage after work for 3 days While they looked for numbers. They finally just gave me a California Vin plate.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:28 AM   #6
mr48chev

The truck may be out of the system but I'd bet even money that the original title is sitting in a file in Sacramento way back in the archive warehouse. The owner of record would have to go and file a lost title report and there is a fee but unless the old paper title in the archives were destroyed an hour or so of a file clerk's time can find it.

If you have the truck now, I'd be searching every nook, cranny and hidey hole for an old registration or insurance slip. Either would have the vin on record on it.

Some states used the engine block serial number (Oregon for one) and some used the door post tag number. This link shows engine serial number prefix for 41/57 Chevy six cylinders. https://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/engine.htm

This is the link for the GM heritage center vehicle information kits. just click on 1959 truck and open the pfd and scroll down to serial number decode. https://www.gm.com/heritage/archive/...formation-kits

The prefix for the door post number should have a number for the plant, H for 1950 R for 3600 and a letter for the month plus the production number. The engine serial number is further down the page.

Have you ducks in a nice tidy row before you go to get the vin verified. Make sure that the door post number is indeed for a 1950 Chevrolet 3600. check the block serial number and see if it is for a 1950 3600. Both of those numbers being correct for a 1950 3600 put you one peg ahead of the game. Where guys run into trouble is when the numbers on the truck don't jive with the year model on the bill of sale or paperwork. Make sure that the numbers jive and they are getting super picky on door post tags that appear to have been removed and put back on in California. A guy on the Hamb got rejected for that a few weeks ago.

The engine serial number and door post number never are the same. Not the letters or the production number. There is no stamped number on the frame.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote