The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2024, 08:19 PM   #1
MMiller1050

69 Chevy C-10 Cab Mounts

Hello ,

I have just replaced my 69 Chevy Cab Mounts and I have seen a lot of people post that when they took off their original cab mounts the 2 front ones had less spacers that the 2 rear ones. When I replaced mine I put an equal number in front and rear. I am now wondering if the front is now too high. Someone had previously changed mine out so I am not sure if those were the correct amount.

Does anyone know that the GM spec is here? or was this another one of GM's inconsistencies? The truck does not look weird...but I currently am prepping my rad support for some repair and it is removed from the truck so the front fenders are not set in original position.

Thank you...yall are great.
MikeM
2015 Chevy Colorado
MMiller1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 01:26 AM   #2
howzzzit

Re: 69 Chevy C-10 Cab Mounts

There is one on the front. Someone must have added the others probably to make the body lines match. I ended up with 2 on the rear and had to add another to the front. You need to install the radiator mounts and fenders before finding the happy spot. After I put 2 spacers in the rear mounts and left only one in the front my doors didn't latch correctly. I added 1 more spacer to the front and they are fine. I got the idea from this forum. There's a user Turp Mcspray that posted a cure. He stated that if front and rear aren't equal your cab will actually flex and things don't line up. As he said the cab will have to give because the frame won't move. Maybe someone can find the post.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 02:06 AM   #3
Richard

The shims were/are used to correct miss alignment. There is no spec. Use as necessary. My truck originally only had one each on the front cab mounts. If you are using LMC rubbers a lot of shims may be needed IMO as the rubbers set the cab way to low, threw them in the trash. The mounts I purchased from Classic Heart Beat are much better. No disrespect to previous poster, but I do not understand how adjusting the height of four points can cause flex in the strongest point on the cab. The rubber in mounts allows flex.

Last edited by Richard; 08-02-2024 at 02:13 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 08:41 AM   #4
72c20customcamper

Both of the trucks I have done had one shim in front rears had nothing and these trucks were original . They are 3/4 tons though but it really shouldn’t matter . Someone may have added to the shims to align the body lines . Not uncommon after even a slight accident . We would add or take away shims specially if we replaced a radiator support and mounts doing a repair at the body shop the nose would be higher and cause the top of the fender to pinch the door and a to much gab at the rocker
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 07:59 PM   #5
MMiller1050

Thank you all for the replies. I did not buy the new cab mount kit I used from LMC....it same one that Brothers Trucks sells but I found it somoeone else that included the Radiator Mounts too. My cab sat a little more than 1/2 inch lower that the bed line. So...I hunted for three weeks to find more spacers that were the same diameter as the rubber bushings...I had to use four at each corner to get the cab up to line up with the bed line. It looks right on the money as far as the lines...and it even looks level when checking the cab across the top of the cab side of the bed. But...I just thought that was a lot of shims compared to what came out. As I said the rad support is out of the truck..so I will see when I get that back in with the new mounts.

Question is...will I need four spacers for the rad mounts also? It only had one in it originally and it did look original. BTW....frame has been checked and it has no previous damage. So does anyone else think four spacers is way too much?

Thanks,
MikeM
2015 Chevy Colorado
MMiller1050 is offline   Reply With Quote