The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Contests

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2024, 12:11 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: August 2024 ToTM - Golden

My truck and I appreciate the appreciation. I drive it more since restoration than I did before, can't help it, though I'm careful where I go. Technically 550 miles its first year, not much. The prior 10 years, I drove it no more than one 15 mile monthly trip.

It was my daily driver 1989-1992. The engine had to be rebuilt Jan. 1993. After that I mostly stored it, short lots of landscape materials for 6-8 lots. The original bed was thrashed since the day I bought it anyhow, saddle tanks included...The original owner, locally, special ordered a SWB to hall everything from a boat launch hitch (destroyed front bumper) to a 5th wheel (oh no), camper, and step bumper. Can't forget the leaf springs, so basically a Chevy on a GMC chassis. Not that I dislike the ride of leaf springs, but locating related parts proves a challenge. Try finding rear bumper brackets for instance, it's not possible really, they simply didn't build many SWB GMC C-10, and "replacements for" these frames per vendors and manufacturers is invalid.

For many years I infrequently put an add on Craigslist and such, looking for a bed. The last was good timing to bring a phone call "I got a bed, and it's down to metal". Talk of a pleasant surprise. The bed was 3-4 miles from me, and he had a real nice front bumper to throw in with it...."Destiny destiny, no escaping that for me"...... $1200, oh my; about 16 years ago.

Among other things, I felt this truck begged for an honest restoration, by everything I had. I didn't realize that going in. Great parts and an interesting donor as well, for instance. Not a lick of rust damage short what a top post battery did, to include half a battery box floor gone. There's good reason GM switched to side post, but my 71 had top post. I'd only ask for a few things back, such as should have powder coated the leaf springs instead of paint. Everything else chassis was PC anyway. PC is perfect for springs, oh well.

My buddy, recently RIP had this mural of COD Garage in his beautiful shop. He did some work on this truck, including to rebuild the carb. I've known him since I was a boy. Turns out his grandma had a shop located behind the garage. He was a pig-headed old Basque, God love him, great big heart. By some coincidence, COD Garage special ordered this truck for the original owner, who was 60, two years my jr.

"Macco paint job" white. I believe the original owner traded it in after the truck had been damaged. We spent 5 hours fitting the RH door, thanks to my friend and body/paint, he got it to fit better than the left. Pillar was bent, the truck was t-boned (oh no). Door was bondo, no welds. At least they did a nice job for a new rocker, and lucky no frame damage.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-06-2024 at 01:06 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote