The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2024, 01:25 PM   #1
SRU1436

Wing window

I am currently replacing the window felt, outside seal and window tracks. No issues so far, except the wing window track. I pulled out the wing window to replace the track as everything it’s original. When I pulled the track out, it was glued in there from the factory. There is left over window track (Looks like it was some type of carpetish material) and some harder glue. Anyone have a recommendation on how to clean out that area? See picture as a reference. If you need more pictures let me know.
Attached Images

SRU1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 09:28 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Wing window

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRU1436 View Post
I am currently replacing the window felt, outside seal and window tracks. No issues so far, except the wing window track. I pulled out the wing window to replace the track as everything it’s original. When I pulled the track out, it was glued in there from the factory. There is left over window track (Looks like it was some type of carpetish material) and some harder glue. Anyone have a recommendation on how to clean out that area? See picture as a reference. If you need more pictures let me know.

Usually it will pull out if you can get one end started. I have also run a utility knife down the sides between the metal and seal and then use a wide blade screwdriver or gasket scraper to scrape the seal from the bottom of the channel. remember to keep your hands above the knife blade when you are cutting along the sides.....

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 11:51 PM   #3
SRU1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Usually it will pull out if you can get one end started. I have also run a utility knife down the sides between the metal and seal and then use a wide blade screwdriver or gasket scraper to scrape the seal from the bottom of the channel. remember to keep your hands above the knife blade when you are cutting along the sides.....
Thank you. I was able to add the new felt track to the wing window. However, the after market one, stops short of going all the way to the bottom. When the window is rolled all the way down, the metal frame that the window attaches to goes below the window felt and into all call it the “Void”. When I try to roll the window back up, the metal frame catches on the beginning part of the felt track and does not roll up properly and I’ll have to use my hand. Not great, so out comes the wing window, to either slide the felt track down more, which potentially creates a void up top, possibly causing wind noise. The more I think about it as I type this, I’ll slide it down and see what happens. I rarely drive the truck on the truck for any long distances so if there is wind noise the I can live with it.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old Today, 12:04 AM   #4
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

What brand of felt do you have. I'm about to do the same thing and have Precision Brand felts.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:40 AM   #5
SRU1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
What brand of felt do you have. I'm about to do the same thing and have Precision Brand felts.
I bought mine from classic industries. I wish I would left the OEM felt track, it wasn’t bad at all.

I took it all apart, and moved the felt down to the bottom of the track, hoping it would help. The new problem I found, it’s the felt insert is too tight form the window frame at the bottom and it drags a lot. The dragging still makes it really difficult to roll up the window. Im looking at other brands, more specifically the below brand. Not sure yet, still doing research.

https://www.steelerubber.com/automotive
Old Today, 03:51 PM   #6
pjmoreland

I have found that sometimes the metal piece that is attached to the bottom edge of the main door glass can snag on the felt as the window is rolled up. Filing the front corners round on this metal piece helps considerably.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote