The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 02:57 AM   #1
bennylava

Living with the duramax vs the 6.0L?

Hi all, I was hoping someone here has a lot of experience with both, preferably with working on both and driving them. I'm trying to make up my mind as to which one I should buy. A duramax 3/4 ton truck, or a gas powered one.

From what I can tell, diesel guys don't have much love for the Duramax in general. The seem to like Cummins and Ford, and Duramax comes in in 3rd place. Does this mean that I should avoid buying an 06 chevy with a diesel engine in it?

Next question, might be dumb, but how is the ride quality on the various 3/4 ton GMT 800 trucks? I talked to one guy who said he only buys Duramax instead of Ford or Dodge, simply because the ride quality is better. In a 3/4 ton diesel truck, is it really that much better?

Thanks!
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:25 AM   #2
EVRLET

Re: Living with the duramax vs the 6.0L?

Go diesel. I own 3 duramax. Two are LBZ (2007) and one a LLY (2005).

When it comes to diesels of this year range, here is the best way to break it down:

Diesel performance: Duramax
Max towing: Cummins or Powerstroke

You need to ask yourself what do you want the truck for. They all have their “issues” but all are good with proper maintenance. Yes, diesels require more maintenance but that’s how you get to 500k miles no problem. Cummins and Powerstroke always exceeds Duramax for overall tow rating. But for power ratings, can’t beat the Duramax.

I can tow what I want with my trucks, so when I say performance, don’t think you lose towing in favor of performance.

For my pictures:

1. Yes, that’s a 2007 2500hd classic single cab duramax with a 5’8” bed. Yes, I did the 6 lug conversion for better wheel options. Yes, it’s an LBZ with 120k miles.

2. Yes, that’s a 1 of 1 2007 2500hd classic crew cab quadrasteer duramax. Yes, the quadrasteer works. No, GM never made a quadrasteer with a diesel option, but I did. Yes, that’s another 6 lug swap. Yes, I tow with it with zero issues. Yes, it has 340k miles and does not leak any oil at all.

Ride quality is awesome. No straight axles up front and the torsion bars are awesome
And yes, both have sunroofs
Attached Images

Old Today, 07:40 AM   #3
95 S_Trucker

Re: Living with the duramax vs the 6.0L?

Ford And Dodge/Ram both use solid axles on their 4wd models. The GM IFS rides a lot better.

As far a gas or dieses, It depends on what your intension are with the truck. If you tow a lot of weight frequently, I would go for the diesel.

I have a 6.0 truck, and I tow 8000-10,000 pounds once a month. The truck will do it, but its under powered on steep hills.

The duramax trucks in this era are all 17+ years old. Don't be surprised when injectors/pump/turbocharger need to be replaced. Its big money if you have a shop do it.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote