The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2024, 12:38 AM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Working Man's Burbon

My Door Panels are nicely painted original Fawn, and I don't intend on fixing what ain't broke. But I do like the idea of the silver mylar bubblewrap stuff inside. A PO panelled the lower interior sides with luan. I may retrace those on fresh luan for an interior skin.
The wheel wells are boxed over and carpeted, but ages ago.

Lots of future speculation on my part for what is virtually a home for unwed packrats.

Insulating the sides of my '71 Jimmy would be a fruitful endeavor, if I plan on an A/C in future.
But the ressurrection of White Fang is a favorite pipe dream...

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-10-2024 at 12:44 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 11:46 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I didn't think about putting mylar bubble wrap behind the panels. I used it above the headliner when I did that project. Hmm... I wonder if I still have some of that stuff.

Keep dreaming my friend. Dreams do come true.

Back to my current dream. As stated in earlier I melted the edges of the fabric around the holes to prevent the fabric from catching on the screws and winding up in the threads.

In addition I used the hot iron to poke the holes through the front of the fabric from the backside. This worked really well as it made nice neat holes. I used the iron to melt all the frayed or cut edges of the fabric where it was on the edge of the panel or a panel hole. As shown by yellow circle and arrows indicating black areas of melted fabric in photo #3. I used the same technique to make the holes for the arm rests as seen in the 4th photo.

The first panel I did was the false door on the drivers side rear. The idea being it would be less noticeable if things didn't work out as planned. Fortunately it came out presentable and I didn't have to start over on it. The edges on it came out a bit bumpy mostly due to me not pulling the fabric over the edge of the panel evenly and I hadn't learned to cut the foam properly.

On the first one I had cut the foam to size with scissors and I found that that wasn't giving me a nice smooth cut on the foam and the lack of a smooth surface showed the fabric. If you look closely at the last photo you can see what I'm trying to describe. Cutting the foam at an angle with the Exacto knife pretty much solved that problem.

You may have noticed the fabric looks to be a different color in every photo. Actually the color is pretty close to correct in the 2nd photo.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote