The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #36
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Making Keys For The ’60 -‘66 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Thanks for the keys, Leon, they worked. I was able to remove the ignition cylinder. I have a couple of questions please. Here is the ignition cylinder. It looks fine to me. It was a little bit difficult to have it turn reliably each time I inserted the key, but I suspect after I do some cleaning it will be better. My question: is it normal on a 63 for the key to be able to pull out in any position? If it is supposed to come out only in the off position, is there something to look at to find the reason it can be pulled out in any position?
I can't get a good look at the tumbler/spring cover on the ignition cylinder but it looks like it might be up a little on one end. If the covers are loose and you insert the key the pressure on the tumblers and springs will push the cover up far enough that it will keep the cylinder from turning. That might also contribute to being able to remove the key in any position.

Quote:
More pics. Is it advisable to get a special tool to turn that outer ring if I need to tighten it? It's loose.
They are pretty hard to tighten up without a special tool. I made one for the '67-'72 trucks but the notches are internal instead of external so that makes it easier.

Quote:
Another question, this time regarding door lock. It looks like it's in pretty good shape, but doesn't work. The problem seems to be a tiny bit of metal has broken off and I'm thinking that is where the metal was swaged to hold down the little cover the springs are under. If that cover were down and stayed down the lock would work. Do you advise replacing the cylinder or JB welding it in that little spot, or something else?
I have re-staked the covers on a lot of cylinders. Basically it has to be done every time I change the tumblers to re-key a lock. If you grind down a small punch so it fits into the existing staking marks you can re-stake them with that. Just be sure and hold the cover down all the way while you are staking it. It is easier to do with 2 people.

I will see if I can take a picture of my staking punch in the morning.

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote