The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #1
Luke87gt

Gas tank in the cabin - safety

Hi guys, when I was in college, I took an engineering ethics course where we did a case study on the Ford Pinto. The vehicle had a design flaw where two bolts would penetrate the tank if the vehicle was in a severe enough rear end collision.

When I saw that the gas tank in my c10 was directly behind the seat, it immediately made me think of that college case study lol

I wanted to check in with you guys on how much of a safety concern is the placement of the tank in our trucks? I know they do make relocation kids to get the tank out of the cabin but wonder what the general consensus is here with the oem tank placement.

Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Gas tank in the cabin - safety

Zero concern.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Zero concern.
This ^^^^^^^. I have owned my truck 47 years and for most of those, it was my daily driver. Had I been concerned, I might have relocated the tank -- or sold the truck. In fact, relocating it to the rear of the truck could have been a bad move, what with the odds of getting rearended. Which brings us back to your Pinto example.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #4
dmjlambert

The cab is the safest place for the gas tank. If you're out doing truck stuff there's no chance of damaging the tank with rocks, debris, etc. Contrary to what makes exciting TV shows and movies, gas tanks rarely explode in accidents. I like driving around and hearing the gas slosh around in there. More concerned about lack of air bags (not suspension kind).
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #5
purple gas

When I was a young guy in small town Saskatchewan there was a body shop a couple blocks from my house.
Any vehicle that was in a crash would be hauled to the back lot until the insurance company dealt with the claim.
I saw some really badly messed up 67 -72s. Rollovers, head on collisions, T-bone collisions, you name it.

The only trucks I saw that had a fire were owned by guys who couldn't make the payments and burnt it for the insurance money.
Is it impossible the gastank might catch fire? No.
Highly unlikely.
If you're worried about safety, don't drive like an idiot and install 3 point seatbelts.
Or, buy Volvo.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #6
Luke87gt

Great replies, thank you all!

I’ll retire any concerns I had ��
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Not to be worried about. Pintos were not really a problem either. Only as seen on TV. My dad put his 72 HiBoy F250 through the backend of a Seventy something Pinto hatchback. The front bumper was against the front seat backs in the Pinto when everything stopped moving.

The Pinto guy was backing up on a snow covered two lane highway with 3 foot berms on each side, with oncoming traffic, in the dark, because "He slid past his mailbox." My dad was unhurt and was able to back the truck off of the Pinto and drive home. This occurred about 3 months before the whole Pinto fire thing blew up in the news.

The only car that I know of that is a concern is the 1992 to 1996 (I think) Ford Crown Vic police cars. Those cars did have a problem when getting hit in the rear. Several police officers died after crashes when their car caught fire and the officers were unable to get out. There were others who were badly injured as well. Fuel Safe in Bend, OR made thousands of fuel cells for police departments after the class action lawsuits started.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

It wasn't actually a design flaw with the Pinto. It was just easier to install the screws in the clamps that held the flex hose from the fill part with the cap to the tank. They were supposed to be installed pointing down, to avoid this very problem.

I worked for a couple of Chevrolet dealers right out of high school. We got service bulletins from all GM car lines. There was a recall on Opels because even in a low-speed collision the windshields would pop out. Turns out that the guys on the line were using grease to aid in installing the windshields, instead of the water-based lube, which would dry out and/or rinse off.

The real issue with fuel leaks was with saddle tanks on our trucks. That was also overblown. Yes, they could leak if hit. But they didn't burst into flame like that Pinto in the "Top Secret" movie.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:25 AM   #9
Rufas

Back in the early 90's NBC faked a segment on exploding gas tanks in GM pickups involved in accidents.

Exploding Chevy Pickups And NBC Coverup
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:19 AM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufas View Post
Back in the early 90's NBC faked a segment on exploding gas tanks in GM pickups involved in accidents.

Exploding Chevy Pickups And NBC Coverup
Yep. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder. Fake (or at least altered) news has been around a long time.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:49 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

If they're leaking vapor or worse it stinks, and I don't know that I'd smoke a cig under those conditions Other than that no concerns to speak of. I drive my truck so carefully anyway, enough I generally refuse the seatbelt, figuring if I mess up I'm going down with the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
It wasn't actually a design flaw with the Pinto. It was just easier to install the screws in the clamps that held the flex hose from the fill part with the cap to the tank. They were supposed to be installed pointing down, to avoid this very problem.

I worked for a couple of Chevrolet dealers right out of high school. We got service bulletins from all GM car lines. There was a recall on Opels because even in a low-speed collision the windshields would pop out. Turns out that the guys on the line were using grease to aid in installing the windshields, instead of the water-based lube, which would dry out and/or rinse off.

The real issue with fuel leaks was with saddle tanks on our trucks. That was also overblown. Yes, they could leak if hit. But they didn't burst into flame like that Pinto in the "Top Secret" movie.
Interesting, not surprising.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:52 PM   #12
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Exclamation Re: Gas tank in the cabin - safety

Much rather have the in cab tank versus the vulnerable side saddle bombs on the 1973-91 GM trucks
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 PM   #13
697498chevy

Kinda off topic , but if IRR I got a $1,000 rebate on a new GM vehicle because I owned a 74 chevy truck with gas tank issues .
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:43 PM   #14
54blackhornet

Why not research how many people have died in these trucks before worrying about it ? You have a much better chance of dying walking across the street.
Old Today, 03:46 PM   #15
desert-rat

People smoked more too back when. I was going to relocate a new tank under the bed, but decided to keep the original in the cab. I have no worries.
desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote