The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 10:42 AM   #1
Gotenntitans

Brake lights mounted to bumper: legal or not?

Question for you guys. My factory brake lights will not work. My friend, who is a certified mechanic, could not find the break in the wires so he welded two trailer style brake lights on the bumper of my old truck.

They come on when I apply the brakes and work properly. Signal lights & taillights still work as from the factory.

Two young police officers pulled me over this morning and said that they were stopping me because my brake lights weren't "factory" and I needed to get the truck repaired back to factory specs. They agreed that the brake lights did come on when I stepped on the brake pedal, but they took exception to the red circular (trailer style) lamps being welded to my bumper.

My question is.......am I legal or not? I don't think I'm illegal, and these two police officers were young. I don't think they know what they're talking about. They gave me a verbal warning to get my truck's brake lights fixed back to factory specs. Should I go to the trouble to do this?

Anyone know the law?

Thanks Friends. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #2
TATE228

Re: Brake lights mounted to bumper: legal or not?

I don't know the laws where you live. but around here basically if the light is visible and functional you are just fine. My guess is they wanted to check paperwork, and/or check you out.
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #3
biketopia

Does your state have vehicle safety inspections? If so, the brake light requirements will be spelled out pretty clear in that. In VA, as long as red brake lights activate on both sides when the brakes are pressed, and the light is visible for XX amount of feet from the rear it passes.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:18 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Around here it don't matter as long as you have working lights
Dug around Ark laws and found this...

According to the Arkansas Code Title 27, Transportation § 27-36-216, trucks in Arkansas must have stop lamps on the rear of the vehicle that meet the following requirements:
Visibility
The lamps must be visible from at least 100 feet away in normal sunlight.
Actuation
The lamps must be activated when the foot brake or service brake is applied.
Color
The lamps must display a red or amber light, or any color between red and amber.
Flashing
When activated, the lamps must flash to indicate the intended direction of turning.
Arkansas Code Title 27. Transportation § 27-36-215. Drawn vehicles--Tail lights
Current as of March 28, 2024

(a)(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least one (1) tail lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet (500′) to the rear.

(2) In the case of a train of vehicles, only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.

(3) Every mentioned vehicle, other than a truck tractor, registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after June 11, 1959, shall be equipped with at least two (2) tail lamps mounted on the rear, on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, which, when lighted as required, shall comply with the provisions of this section.

(b) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches (72″) nor less than twenty inches (20″).

(c)(1)(A) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible for a distance of fifty feet (50′) to the rear.

(B) It shall be a violation of this subsection for any other color of light to be displayed around the registration plate or for white light to be excesssively  1 used so as to render the registration plate illegible from a distance of less than fifty feet (50′).

(2) Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

(d)(1) Every new motor vehicle sold and operated upon a highway, other than a truck tractor, shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two (2) red reflectors.

(2) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall carry at least one (1) reflector, meeting the requirements of this section.

(3) Vehicles of the type mentioned in § 27-36-219 shall be equipped with reflectors as required in those sections applicable thereto.

(e)(1) Every reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than twenty inches (20″) nor more than sixty inches (60″) measured as set forth in § 27-36-204 and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within three hundred fifty feet (350′) to one hundred feet (100′) from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps.

(2) Visibility from a greater distance will be required of reflectors on certain types of vehicles.

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Sounds legit. It's interesting that before June 11, 1959, only one tail/stop lamp was required.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:17 PM   #6
Gotenntitans

Thanks Guys. I teach high school math and I found our resource officer and talked with him about it. He was a city police officer for years and he said that they probably wanted to check my paperwork. He also added that one officer might have been training the other and they may have used me for a routine check.

He says I'm legal and good to go.

So here's my opportunity to say that they detained me this morning and made me almost late for work, but I wasn't gonna be rude or cause a big scene. They did their job and I let them do it.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Thanks Greg for finding that. You beat me to it.
Some or most pickup trucks before 1959 were produced with only one tail lamp. A second one was an option. A license plate was mounted beneath the driver side tail lamp. A rear bumper was an option. I had dual tail lamps on my '56 Ford truck and the license hung beneath the left tail lamp. I later put a factory rear bumper on it which partially covered the plate but it was in the factory location. The factory bumper did not have provisions for mounting a plate to it. I got stopped once by a young twerp of an officer about it. After him pressing the issue of plate needs to be fully visible from the driver seat in his big old Pontiac cruiser and telling me I HAD to move the plate further up on the bed, I said yes, sure I'll take care of it. Of course I did not. He wasn't interested in the truck at all even though it was in real good shape and was very much modded by then. Some time later I caught him driving with no brake lights and called in on him. I said "I almost rear ended him in down town traffic". Operator said "oh he turned the lights off on the night shift and forgot to turn them back on". She just blew it off.
John, good of you to let them go.

I will add that by DOT regulations every lamp on a vehicle must be functional in regards to semi trucks and trailers and I would imagine that would apply to passenger vehicles also. ?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #8
kwmech

Personally I'd find another mechanic that can trace a wire. It'll be both the yellow (L) and green (R) for the brakes. Nothing at either indicates a bad brake switch (which seems to working at the moment) or the turn signal switch, bulbs or the socket not grounding. Should take less than 15 minutes for somebody that knows what their doing
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:09 PM   #9
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenntitans View Post
Question for you guys. My factory brake lights will not work. My friend, who is a certified mechanic, could not find the break in the wires so he welded two trailer style brake lights on the bumper of my old truck.
That's where they were factory on '78 and above El Camino.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:12 PM   #10
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenntitans View Post
but they took exception to the red circular (trailer style) lamps being welded to my bumper.
Red circular (trailer style) lamps were factory on stepside up until the square "Grote" lamps came on board during the square body era.

I had those same lamps on my open trailer.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #11
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Red circular (trailer style) lamps were factory on stepside up until the square "Grote" lamps came on board during the square body era.

I had those same lamps on my open trailer.

K
Mine look like the red truck, except they're mounted directly on the rear bumper.

Those young guns were just messing with me, I think. One was a young lady officer.......did I mention that? I'm sure SHE was all up to date on her factory specs from 1967.
2003 Chevy Silverado