The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #1
Getter-Done

Self-Check Out Only @ Lowes

Well, it has finally made it to my town.

Has anyone noticed this in your town?

I have noticed this year that Lowes was trying to go Exclusively to self-checkout in other states.

That will probably cause Home Depot to get more business.

I normally shop a Home Depot near me.

I shop there because they have more of what I need.

Now if I go to the other stores that are farther away,
Lowes is the better choice.

They cater to that Localization stuff .

We have 2 Great Family type lumber/ Building stores in the area.

They will get more business also.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Self-Check Out Only @ Lowes

Pain in the neck, but the contractor register is still open at the LOWEs near me. I was getting pretty frustrated with the ID reader for the veteran discount requiring a store employee every time. That seems to be ironed on most (?) of the self-help registers. We've had them something like 6 months or so.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Menards uses facial recognition and a known thief enters a store in the system the manager will receive an electronic notification.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #4
62c30

I haven't been to Lowes in over 2 years. I go to home Depot or Menards even though they are 20 minutes away vs Lowe's that's 5 minutes away. Lowes employees don't seem trained very well and their prices are a lot higher. I had the same issues in North Carolina as well. Home Depot has self checkout but Menards doesn't. I'll use whichever is faster.
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Menards uses facial recognition and a known thief enters a store in the system the manager will receive an electronic notification.
Known thieves at the store where my son works get close personal attention from more than one employee when they come into the store.

Simi Valley, CA
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

A lot of places are going the other way and taking out self checkout lanes due to self checkout having high theft rates. Seems paying a human minimum wage to check stuff costs less then the theft losses.

For a lot of things, self checkout can be faster but only if you don't have some of those age verification required items. Also clearance items aren't always entered into the computer.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i avoid self checkout if that is all they will offer , they dont need my money.. i prefer to go to Mom n Pop stores anyhow.. and the funny thing is the lumber is cheaper and straighter

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Our Lowes has been self check up front for over a yr now..but I always use the contractors end..they still have a person there

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #9
LS short box

All of the Dollar Generals stores around here have pulled their self check outs. Too much theft.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #10
Sheepdip

I'm the a**hole here...when ever I'm told to use or made aware that self checkout is available my standard answer is "I don't use self checkout, hire someone".

Now if self checkout were programed to ring everything up at 10 or 15% discount/savings I might use it.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

^ Right on! As for the theft angle, I notice that lately the clerks at the self check-out are far more attentive. I guess that feedback they ask for finally paid off. Either that, or those gals are flirting with me.

Or, more likely, they've seen big money walk out with self-scanning. Scan a pack of razor blades and cart out that DeWalt tool set, ftw! Easier than doing a grab and run...

Simi Valley, CA
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I'm the a**hole here...when ever I'm told to use or made aware that self checkout is available my standard answer is "I don't use self checkout, hire someone".

Now if self checkout were programed to ring everything up at 10 or 15% discount/savings I might use it.
Oh your not the only one! A couple months back I had two 8' 4x4's and a bag of lag bolts and I asked the girl trying to direct me to the self check out where the checker was. She said they did have one any more. So I asked her to hold my 4x4's and bolts, so I could get my wallet. She said sure and once she had it all in hand, I got my wallet out and told her you're not getting any money from this until you hire some checkers and I walked past her supervisor and out the door.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #13
Boog
laying low

Quote:

That's what I said when Walmart first went to self check outs. I wanted to see on my receipt something to the effect of "your purchase price has been reduced by some % amount because you checked yourself out".
At least make us feel like we are paying less for our goods.
A while back at same store I motioned the lone "observer" over to help me punch in a produce item. Girl gave me attitude. Said "I'll show you one time". People were backed up but I really wanted to teach her what customer assistance was really all about. Guess she really had an important message conversation going on to get back to or some tick tock kinda crap!
Hey we were young once but we weren't anything like these younguns today.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #14
tutone

My favorite thing to doat Lowes, is take my stuff up there and stare at it like a calf at a new gate. They always come over there and pity me and check my stuff out. That way they have to do their job, and I cannot be accused of theft. Works every time.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #15
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I was getting pretty frustrated with the ID reader for the veteran discount requiring a store employee every time. That seems to be ironed on most (?) of the self-help registers.
I have heard they still help the veterans and the MyLowes customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I hope they implement this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
I haven't been to Lowes in over 2 years. I go to home Depot or Menards even though they are 20 minutes away vs Lowe's that's 5 minutes away. Lowes employees don't seem trained very well and their prices are a lot higher. I had the same issues in North Carolina as well. Home Depot has self checkout but Menards doesn't. I'll use whichever is faster.
This same issue of untrained Employees influences my choice of store also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Known thieves at the store where my son works get close personal attention from more than one employee when they come into the store.
This is Great to hear. Kinda like Peer pressure on a Different level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
A lot of places are going the other way and taking out self checkout lanes due to self checkout having high theft rates. Seems paying a human minimum wage to check stuff costs less then the theft losses.
For a lot of things, self checkout can be faster but only if you don't have some of those age verification required items. Also clearance items aren't always entered into the computer.
I went to Home Depot about 3 Month ago and self checked $180.oo worth of items.
When I scan the last Item the total was $900. something.

I told the guy watching the Self check area,
I did not buy this much Stuff.

He said (Someone walked out with alot of stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
i avoid self checkout if that is all they will offer , they dont need my money.. i prefer to go to Mom n Pop stores anyhow.. and the funny thing is the lumber is cheaper and straighter
This may be the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

The 2 Independant lumber / Building supply store here are just as you speak,
Better quality and same price or cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Our Lowes has been self check up front for over a yr now..but I always use the contractors end..they still have a person there
That what I do If I buy Plywood. I think they have done away with that at our store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
All of the Dollar Generals stores around here have pulled their self check outs. Too much theft.
They have done the same thing here.

Quote:

This is (Me) also.
I won't even bring up the experience in a Restaurant in the Area.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote