The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 09:43 AM   #1
MikeB

Anyone else miss Sears?

I was reading a post where a guy found a JC Penny's brand spare tire under a 69 C10 he had just acquired. That reminded me of other department store-branded tires like Montgomery Wards, and of course Sears. Can you think of any others?

I really miss Sears, at least the 1960s-early 2000s versions. That's where I bought 90% of my tools, a couple lawnmowers, and all of our appliances. They did so much Kenmore business, there were usually 3-4 sales people in just that department. And just like their Craftsman tools, their rubber garden hoses had a lifetime warranty, but they would last 20 years or more.

Times change. We've sold our souls to big box stores and Amazon.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #2
Sheepdip

Re: Anyone else miss Sears?

My local Ace Hardware carries the Craftsman Tool line and I was told by an employee they honor the "Lifetime Warranty"
I've never had to take a Craftsman Tool back....I usually lose it and have to replace it.

I supported myself thru school busting tires at Monkey Wards. They had a full service Auto Center, Tires, Batteries, Oil Changes, Brakes, Tune-ups, Frontend Work and Alignment. They actually employed some pretty talented and knowledgeable people back then.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

They were Amazon before Amazon. I remember looking through the catalog as a kid when I was getting old enough that working on cars was starting to sound interesting. They had a rather robust selection of engine parts. In my town, we only had a Sears Catalog store but we did have a full service Montgomery Wards complete with auto shop.

One of my first tool purchases was a set of Craftsman pliers(normal, needle nose, diagonal and linemans). While Craftsman, they were made in Japan. They have held up, still have them several decades later.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #4
truckster

We used to have a Sears service center near here. I could walk it and buy sockets for pennies on the dollar.
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #5
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post

I supported myself thru school busting tires at Monkey Wards. They had a full service Auto Center, Tires, Batteries, Oil Changes, Brakes, Tune-ups, Frontend Work and Alignment. They actually employed some pretty talented and knowledgeable people back then.
We shopped at the Fort Worth Store when I was a kid. My mom and dad liked it better than Sears. It also had a auto service center. Yes, many of the mechanics were top-notch.

Heck, you could even find good mechanics working at gas stations back then. I remember getting a 4-wheel brake job at one. Also, a guy literally working under a shade tree (because his single shop bay had a car in it) showed me how to set the points and ignition timing on my 283, after I had changed intake manifold and carb. I think he charged me around $2 labor.
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #6
Getter-Done

Yes, I do.

My Grandpa loved Sears.

My brother and I share his tools and his Old Craftsman box.

We went thru and split them after Grandma passed.

Grandpa passed first and we left them till we had to settle the estate.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Sears was an hour from me but was still pretty much my go-to store. Also had a Wards store not far from Sears, wife & I used to shop at both of them. Our home town has always had NAPA, and we used to have a Western Auto. Many years ago they (W.A.) had a killer sale on tubes of grease and I stocked up. Maybe too much -- I still have four unopened tubes. Gotta admit I miss the old stores we used to buy from.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #8
geezer#99

We don’t have the store anymore but we still have the Sears parking lot. A weekly Wednesday car meet started before the store closed. It’s gotten larger every year.
It’s in Nanaimo BC on Vancouver Island.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vihr/a...th/53955371964
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #9
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Wards and Sears sold everything back in the day. Used to get tires at Wards. My Ted Williams Model 100 was a big purchase for me at Sears. And plinking ammo. I miss Sears and Wards, Western Auto, Coast to Coast. Different times nowadays.
Attached Images

yuccales is online now   Reply With Quote