The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

The Chevy Express van.

At my work I get the distinct displeasure of driving Ford E250's for work being a Chevy man. Luckily the Lord smiled on me, and it is not the Transit at this point. So I have very little experience with Express van's. Not much in the last 12 years if not longer.

Well as the Corona virus ruins my finances, and they keep saying it is coming back next year. 🤣 I have thought harder of getting rid of my Silverado to lower my monthly out going, and get something that is still reliable.

Initially I had thought of getting a used car, and enjoying 30+ hwy mpg. Along with lower out going. Either through payment or insurance. Just could not get excited about it. Or even mildly luke warm to the idea.

Well I somehow ran across a 2500 Chevy Express van for cheap enough to consider worth it to me. All while having a vehicle that still suits my needs in different ways then the truck obviously, but still works in a way I can use. Plus I would have a 6.0, and 6 speed auto that can be used in another project when I get around to it. Which in my mind really adds to the worth it to me in the whole situation. Figuring a 6 liter with 6 speed is $5000+ which really knocks down the total price concept.

From what I remember the E-series, and Express vans pretty much the same from the driver's position. Not like the transit where the wheel is between you knees for some odd reason. From the driver seat I really like the E-series, but as a enthusiast the offer nothing on the backside. Like a 6 liter or 6 speed.

So how do you guys who have a Express or Savanna like cruising in them. Is the front seat comfy enough?. Also how is real world highway mpg with no roof racks. I accept city will be in the toilet.

Anything to look out for on them.

The one I am looking at has like 8 captains chairs which be ripped out, and replaced with a normal bench seat. That is the only down side i can see in the pics.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
powerdriver

Re: The Chevy Express van.

I have to take care of 8 4500 Express Vans . Heavy school bus bodies . The 6.0 is trouble free . The outside parts are not bad . Had one at 200,000 the steering pump went bad . the in town machines make about 6 mph but this town is built on a hillside and these are heavy . Just telling the truth in this application . Company policy is oil change at 5000 miles .
Old 04-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #3
truckster

I've owned both (in 15 passenger versions) and I think the Ford is a little more stout. The Express van is good enough, and if you're buying it with some future project in mind I can see that - the engine and trans from my current Express are going into my son's 79 Camaro. I think the Fords were more comfortable to drive and ride in, except in the very back seat. The fit and finish, especially on the interior pieces, were better on the Fords than on the Chevy - the Express had a lot more rattles and squeaks.

Mileage between the two was pretty comparable, with probably a slight edge to the Ford.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Why did you think the Ford is or was more comfy?

The few I am looking at all have buckets in back. Plus I am not opposed to just replacing every seat while at it for ideal comfort.

Years ago I had a VW van I out fitted to suit my needs. Which lead to a Corvair van that I dialed in better. I left the middle seats, and ditched the rear seats. Then made a platform off the rear deck. So I thought maybe I could do the same again, and really get out there with my boy. Since sleeping in a van is more comfy then a pick up bed.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
truckster

The ride in the Ford wasn't as choppy as in the Express. It just seemed to handle bumps and potholes better. I liked the seating slightly better as well, but both were equipped with standard cloth seats.

One thing in favor of the Express if you're camping in it - the seat mounts are (almost) flush to the floor, where in the Ford the brackets protruded about 2" above the floor.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
The ride in the Ford wasn't as choppy as in the Express. It just seemed to handle bumps and potholes better. I liked the seating slightly better as well, but both were equipped with standard cloth seats.

One thing in favor of the Express if you're camping in it - the seat mounts are (almost) flush to the floor, where in the Ford the brackets protruded about 2" above the floor.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Well since work has slowed more this week. I have alot I had more free time to watch useless video's, and look for vans.

So if I go from a 6.0 to a 5.7, or even a 7.4 i can save many thousands of dollars on the transaction price. Lets says 11-13K for a 6.0 LS van to 5-7K roughly for a 5.7 or 7.4. Which caught my imagination, and given how little I drive normally. Not that big a problem. As I have a company vehicle to daily. Plus honestly I prefer the earlier vans to look at, and the drivetrain of the later versions.

Honestly for what I have to potential to save when I do road trips I can eat the extra $50-$100 extra fuel bill. Atleast for the places I frequent.

What can I get highway mpg wise from a 5.7 or 7.4. Which comprises 75% of my typical miles. So it is the most important to me.

So my guess I think the 5.7 works better for me. Since I only tow a few times of year, and 8000 is as heavy as I go.

What say you?
Old 04-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #8
1976gmc20

Quote:
sleeping in a van is more comfy then a pick up bed
But a 4x4 pickup can go so many more places than a van.

And you could put a nice little slide in camper on a pickup.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:19 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
But a 4x4 pickup can go so many more places than a van.

And you could put a nice little slide in camper on a pickup.
My truck, and the van if I go through with it have to serve other functions then just camping. My mother is to old, and such to get into a 4x4 truck. Plus she no longer drives so it is a non starter.

Honestly I dont get slide in campers. I had a dually that came with one, and I gave it a honest try. Plus the amount I am able to sneak away to go camp. A van works better.

I hate lifted trucks for my daily or weekly needs. As it is my 18 Silverado is still too high, and it has a 3/5 drop. Any more lowering, and I have to reconsider the bumper. For the stuff I do.

I have a Willys wagon that when complete can do that portion for me easy enough. Then I am the oldest one who has to get into it.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #10
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
What can I get highway mpg wise from a 5.7 or 7.4. Which comprises 75% of my typical miles. So it is the most important to me.

What say you?
In my 2001 Express (5.7 Vortec & 4L80E) 15 passenger 1 ton I averaged about 11-12 MPG combined highway/city. It probably gets around 13-15 highway. My kids drove it, too, so it might be a little better with a more conservative driver. I don't have experience with the 7.4, but my Ford 460 got 6-8 MPG at best.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:47 PM   #11
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
In my 2001 Express (5.7 Vortec & 4L80E) 15 passenger 1 ton I averaged about 11-12 MPG combined highway/city. It probably gets around 13-15 highway. My kids drove it, too, so it might be a little better with a more conservative driver. I don't have experience with the 7.4, but my Ford 460 got 6-8 MPG at best.
For driving around did you feel the 5.7 was under powered? Or with about 1000 pounds in the van.

For the amount I tow. Slow will work. Plus I probably regear the rear end since I would want to add a position anyways. That way I have the engine at a more advagous rpm.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I don't use vans, so kinda hard to differ with someone who does. But, my brother in law has been in a band that uses a van to travel with the four members and all their gear. And they do some serious traveling and work a busy schedule. Mark, the band founder and I suppose business manager, always ran E350s. This band has been together since the '70s. The drummer fell asleep at the wheel and totaled their van out on the road. Thankfully no one was hurt. But Mark hustled to come up with a used van and ended up with a G3500 long WB. He absolutely loves it and would never go back, he said. They love the much better ride most of all. They've had that van over 5 years now with great reliable service

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #13
truckster

Quote:
For driving around did you feel the 5.7 was under powered? Or with about 1000 pounds in the van.

For the amount I tow. Slow will work. Plus I probably regear the rear end since I would want to add a position anyways. That way I have the engine at a more advagous rpm.
I didn't feel it was underpowered. It's not a race car, but it will definitely haul a load.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #14
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
I didn't feel it was underpowered. It's not a race car, but it will definitely haul a load.
Thanks, I have experience with the 6.0 6 speed in a service truck, but little with the 5.7. As the Van's we used were pretty empty, and mostly held 4 ladders.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #15
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't use vans, so kinda hard to differ with someone who does. But, my brother in law has been in a band that uses a van to travel with the four members and all their gear. And they do some serious traveling and work a busy schedule. Mark, the band founder and I suppose business manager, always ran E350s. This band has been together since the '70s. The drummer fell asleep at the wheel and totaled their van out on the road. Thankfully no one was hurt. But Mark hustled to come up with a used van and ended up with a G3500 long WB. He absolutely loves it and would never go back, he said. They love the much better ride most of all. They've had that van over 5 years now with great reliable service
Do they still get the groupies?

That is the true test of if you really have a band.

Well if it works for a van. It will do what I need..
Old 04-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

They are either married to younger women or have no problem getting a new girlfriend, from what I've seen. They have a very strong following, The Nighthawks, including the gals. I think my brother in law and sister are about the same age, been married a long time. But my sister is a very pretty woman

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #17
Axle

I drive an express cargo 2500 every day, I find it comfortable. Its loaded down pretty much all the time,no acceleration complaints. It'll hustle down the highway with traffic well beyond the posted speed limit without complaint. The DIC reports 14.1mpg, no idea how accurate it is though. I do about 22-25k year, brakes and oil changes is about all they've needed. Last van got turned in with around 120k on the clock, just brakes & oil changes.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #18
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
I drive an express cargo 2500 every day, I find it comfortable. Its loaded down pretty much all the time,no acceleration complaints. It'll hustle down the highway with traffic well beyond the posted speed limit without complaint. The DIC reports 14.1mpg, no idea how accurate it is though. I do about 22-25k year, brakes and oil changes is about all they've needed. Last van got turned in with around 120k on the clock, just brakes & oil changes.
Which year do you have.

I am looking at a 2000 with a 454 which is cheap, but there is also the 6.0 versions. Although if I went that far I would go for a 6 speed auto since mileage for mileage the price is close.

The 2000 model with the 454 is the long version which i like quite a bit.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #19
Rich84

The Express Van is a workhorse. I put 376,000 on one before I could afford to replace it. 3 waterpumps and a fuel pump. The 6.0 is very dependable I drove it for 12 years hauling drywall & steel studs and towing electric lifts which are about 5000lbs.
We now have a '16 with 120,000 already on the clock. So far just shocks & brakes..
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
Axle

Quote:
Which year do you have.
Work buys 'em for me. I just drive 'em. That said, I get them with about 10 miles on the clock and am the only driver for that van. I started out with a 1998 express, had a 2007, 2010, 2013, and currently a 2017.

2009 is the only year to avoid in my opinion, we had some of those in our fleet, and my boss had me drive it for a week for my opinion on it, after he was driving it home for a few days also, terrible shifting strategy, always shifting to get that magic epa numbers up. Nothing from GM by way of reflashes.

2007 was probably my favorite in terms of still being a 4 speed and old school vortec. the 2010 was great due to a much improved shift strategy and the LS engines, being a bit more peppy. Current is a 2017 with a 4.8 which hauls a-- pretty good given the load out and "tiny" engine. We got a 2018 with a 6.0 also, its usually empty and doesn't have interior shelving so I take it when I need to haul something that needs the space, I like it better than the 4.8, but I'd err to more cubic inches any day of the week if given the choice. =-)
For me, all but the 2009 have been trouble free, I tend to prefer the characteristics of the 4 speeds, so older is my preference, but you can't argue about the overall better characteristics of the LS engines. That said, If I had to make a choice, the 2007 was probably my favorite of the bunch, the 2010/11 next.
Just fyi, if the split mirrors drive you up the wall, the older one peice mirrors (passenger convex mirror) will bolt right in. Much better view than the split mirrors. So I guess thats my only other gripe, the split side mirrors are terrible for a good sight picture of whats behind and beside you.

Couple other little things, pull back the drivers floor covering, 1. Cut the stud off that holds the wiring harness in place under your right heel. 2. make sure that wire harness is not chaffed through.
Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #21
72c20customcamper

I had the GMC version 1998 5.7 12 passenger . Never felt it was underpowered even towing a 33 ft camper. What I really liked about it was 3500 . And when I took out the seats I could put alot of lumber in it . Even two Harleys fit in it. My Springer and a Fatboy
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:55 AM   #22
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
They are either married to younger women or have no problem getting a new girlfriend, from what I've seen. They have a very strong following, The Nighthawks, including the gals. I think my brother in law and sister are about the same age, been married a long time. But my sister is a very pretty woman
I checked out their website. Looks like a band I'd go to see. Plus they have a cool logo.
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #23
LT7A

Quote:
Which year do you have.

I am looking at a 2000 with a 454 which is cheap, but there is also the 6.0 versions. Although if I went that far I would go for a 6 speed auto since mileage for mileage the price is close.

The 2000 model with the 454 is the long version which i like quite a bit.
What did you end up with? Or did you just ride it out and keep the Silverado?
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #24
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am not a big van person any more. They just seemed ceamped on the floor fir my bug ole feet and legs. I will say the ferds dud seem to hzve a better rude, i think because if the longer front nose. I had a custom dodge van and it was likechwvy. Good,but cramped for driver. I have never driven or even ridden in the newer teansits or fodge vans. . Its nice to have the protective space to carry things. Far as mileage, mine akwzys got a little less mpg than the trucks, which i think is mostly alll the extra weight ur carrying around. So what did you decide on?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; Today at 07:16 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote