The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #1
PbFut

Hot Rod Gods Strike Again

It seems I can't catch a break this past month. Health issues with my wife Erin has made things challenging enough. With about 5 hours of total run time, it took some tuning and sync'ing, and maybe 100 miles actual driving, things went really bad with the 8 stack. Funny, I am not going out of my mind with frustration. I think Erin's situation grounded my idea of bad things.
Pics say it all. Looks to me like a fuel rail o-ring let go. I recently upped my Hagery limit as I was completing the truck. I'm sure they'll give me the stink eye. I sure would. Flames penetrated the firewall grommet holes and got behind the dash as well. You can barely sit in the cab it stinks so bad. This will be an interesting next few weeks.
Attached Images

PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #2
54blackhornet

Re: Hot Rod Gods Strike Again

Sorry for your fire ! Fire extinguisher ? I will say a prayer for your wife tonight asking for a complete recovery. Truck can be repaired. Wives are more important.
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #3
weq92f

Good work getting that fire out and saving the truck. Hagerty will treat you like a customer with a loss. They will most likely finance whatever you choose to do and even help you find parts like that hood if necessary.

My tiny fire extinguisher in the cab probably would not have worked against a full on fuel fire that had time to develop. Thinking now I should carry a larger one in the bed!

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #4
Wikid61
Post Whore

Leave the hood off until that combo can be dialed in. Any dyno pro's near by?
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Two options I can think of:
1] Taller stacks and cut the hood open to accomodate.
2] Go more conservative, getting Dual Carbs instead, and repaint the hood.

I hope your wife feels better soon.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #6
Getter-Done

Prayers for your wife.

And Well wishes sent.

I have had similar issues going on for awhile.

Hope things get better soon for you and your wife.

Best advice I can give you is.

Just keep your Head up and Move Forward.

Keep Truckin.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #7
PbFut

Thank all. Yes I had dialed in the tune and each port sync'd. The issue was not a simple backfire. The fuel rail blew out a connection. Not sure if it was the crossover or injector o-ring. It is clear the fuel spray was rearward and to the passenger side. Very likely lit by the distributor. My opinion is that it's a product fail. There are no fittings I attached that are in that area other than the fuel rail onto the injectors. The rail is tight and no indication it pushed the mounts out and connectors off the injectors. I suspect a o-ring. They were all lubed on install. There are 4 in the crossover and rather loose in hindsight. Suspect in my view. What is odd is there has to be close to 10 hours of run time already. You would think a ring would have failed before this.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:12 AM   #8
72SB

OP, I am sure you will pinpoint the how and why this happened. Obviously sucks for what looks to be a significant do over

Did you have an extinguisher or did the fire just burn itself out after fuel/engine was shut off?

I have been fortunate enough to never need an extinguisher on "my" truck or car but have used it to assist someone else on fire

where I put my extinguisher
Attached Images

72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:23 AM   #9
MikeB

Sorry to hear that. It hurts just to look at the photos. I wonder what ignited the fuel? Exhaust heat or spark? And is there a better solution than an o-ring in that location?

The only engine compartment fuel leak I've ever had was a crack in the factory rubber hose attaching the filter just before a Rochester 2-bbl carb. But even though the intake manifold was covered with fuel, there was no fire. And that would have been less than 5 psi.

Makes me want to go 100% hard line from mechanical pump to filter to carb on my 69.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote