The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #10
RustyPile

Re: Horn not shutting off

Maybe this will shed some light on the situation.. I have an aftermarket tilt column, brand unknown, and a Lecarra (Lokar) steering wheel and adaptor hub.. As you know all these aftermarket columns, regardless of the brand, use GM shafts, turn signal switches, shafts, and tilt mechanisms..

The turn signal went bad in my column.. When I disassembled the column, first thing I noticed was, although the key operated column lock feature was nonfunctional, the column locking plate was installed. The spring has to be there as it is used to preload the upper shaft's two bearings. Most of the locking mechanism is removed and not used. The lock plate must be in place to offer a "stop" for the spring to push against..

I thought about leaving the lock plate out, but too much of the shaft protruded through the hub, and also -- lo and Behold -- when I connected the battery cable, the horn started blowing continuously.. I removed the wheel and reinstalled the lock plate, and everything started working as it should..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote