The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2024, 05:53 PM   #1
Luke87gt

Let’s talk Front End Rebuild

Hi all, my 1969 c10 is badly in need of a front suspension rebuild.

I was planning on replacing the following parts using either Moog or Mevotech replacement parts from RockAuto (for years I used Moog in all my cars but since switched over to Mevotech and have been pleased with the quality/value).

I was hoping to check with you guys about what the go-to brand you guys are using here and if I should make consideration for any other options before placing the order.

Parts list:

- upper/lower ball joints
- idler arm
- Pittman arm
- sway bar bushings
- control arm shaft kit
- inner/outer tie rods and sleeve

Questions:

1.) do these front control arms have bushings? I don’t see anything listed on RockAuto other than the shaft kit

2.) is there a steering damper in these trucks?

3.) other than what’s shown above, is there anything else I should look at to reduce the steering slop/play

Also, can anyone link me to shorter front/rear bump stops? I will be doing a 2/4 or 3/5 drop eventually.

Big thank you!
Old 09-21-2024, 06:09 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Let’s talk Front End Rebuild

Couldn't tell you about the lower control arms, but uppers have bushings.

Stock 2wd does not use a steering damper.

Check steering gear box play. There's an adjustment for it.

You will need some sort of shock absorber mount relocation scheme.

If you have a trailing arm suspension it would be easier to buy an adjustable Panhard bar unless you can do some fabrication. The rear axle will shift to one side when you lower it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 06:28 PM   #3
Rust_never_sleeps

I watched this one, IIRC this shows the whole deal including control-arm shaft bushings
IF they don't list the bushings, you might just wanna get new shafts with bushings, IIRC they're pretty cheap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dTIQ7mfWlg&t=393s
Old 09-21-2024, 11:35 PM   #4
Rust_never_sleeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps View Post
IF they don't list the bushings, you might just wanna get new shafts with bushings
Some come with bushings, some don't
Old 09-22-2024, 12:13 AM   #5
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke87gt View Post
3.) other than what’s shown above, is there anything else I should look at to reduce the steering slop/play
In my (admittedly limited) experience, none of that has much to do with steering slop/play unless you have noticed a specific item that has play or is worn out. I'm thinking probably top of the list for steering slop would be the rag joint and the steering box. If you have power steering, the service manual has details about thrust bearing preload adjustment and over-center preload adjustment. I don't know if there are a lot of folks with detailed experience in those adjustments as my thread on the subject did not get a whole lot of discussion. If you have manual steering, I don't have experience with that yet but I would tend to consult the manual.

If you don't have a paper manual they are reasonably cheap, I bought mine used on ebay. The forum has a thread with PDFs. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=558016

Here is a thread with my limited experience regarding thrust bearing preload adjustment and over-center preload adjustment. My slop was caused by me when re-sealing the steering gear, so the thread may not be what you're looking for, sorry if it is just noise. https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=812162

I believe there is normally a small amount of play in the steering, the feel of the steering was not tight and it was different back in the day even when the trucks were new.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 09-22-2024 at 11:37 AM.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 01:31 PM   #6
Accelo

1.) do these front control arms have bushings? I don’t see anything listed on RockAuto other than the shaft kit

The control arm shaft kit comes with everything you need. No bushings till 1973. They have what amounts to a threaded nut. It threads into the control arm and the cross shaft at the same time. The grease zerk on the end of the nut lubricates the threads.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 10:20 PM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Redid the front end completely on my 72 C10. Used all Moog, every box said made in the USA, front end parts and added a Borgeson Steering box and Power Steerng pump. No front end slop now as steers like a modern vehicles. Also have 1 1/4 inch front sway bar from a square body 1 ton truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote