The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2024, 11:01 AM   #26
pjmoreland

Re: Gauge Cluster Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappys4life View Post
Mine has a crappy paint job but all the gauges work, would like to swap to a voltmeter. debating to get it rebuild or do something like classic instruments.
Post some photos of it if you can. Do the gauge faces have rust on them? If so, installing a gauge face decal set will restore their appearance.

I have this voltmeter from American Autowire in my truck.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...RoCi-4QAvD_BwE
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2024, 03:26 AM   #27
'68OrangeSunshine

Hi PJ, I looked for the saved gauges I had stored in my Walrus Hut. I found the box, an old carton, my Weiand 8004 V8 manifold came in, 25 years ago. The only gauge in there was an Autometer Vacuum gauge.
The digital voltage indicator, Oil Pressure gauge, and Tachometer were not present.
Mystery.
Maybe I located the project somewhere else, and got stalled...?
IDK. This is not a high grift area. And why only those items?

In other news, by tightening up the Gss Line connection behind the seat in the Orange Stepside, I got rid of excess fuel vapors.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2024, 10:33 AM   #28
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Hi PJ, I looked for the saved gauges I had stored in my Walrus Hut. I found the box, an old carton, my Weiand 8004 V8 manifold came in, 25 years ago. The only gauge in there was an Autometer Vacuum gauge.
The digital voltage indicator, Oil Pressure gauge, and Tachometer were not present.
Mystery.
Maybe I located the project somewhere else, and got stalled...?
IDK. This is not a high grift area. And why only those items?

In other news, by tightening up the Gss Line connection behind the seat in the Orange Stepside, I got rid of excess fuel vapors.
It's been quite the battle to get the fuel vapors out of the cab. I'm glad you got the issue resolved. Hopefully those gauges show up. I mounted a Sun tach to the steering column of a '67 stepside I used to own. I machined a mounting bracket for it back when I had access to a mill at work. That tach worked well.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2024, 09:23 PM   #29
'68OrangeSunshine

I just used the mounting from Autometer and clamped the Tach on the column at a 1 - O'Clock position with a 3'' hose clamp. [But your machining skills are impressive.
In these shots, I was changing out the T/S Switch. Tach is dangling by its wiring. Oh yeah. The hose clamp was a Rolls Royce part. ''acquired'' from the Harrier parts bin.
Knee Screaper Gauge brace holds Oil Pressure/ Vacuum/ Water Temperature.
The GPS [Magellen] rests on the Ash Tray, it's top stuck to a Radio Delete Plate with a tootsie roll of green gaffer's tape.
Since adding a gear correction box to the tranny output before the Speedometer Cable, the MPH reads right with 235/85/R16s. I check speed against the GPS read, and it's within 2 - 3 MPH of ''Indicated'' speed.
Quite used to the Old Schhol set up.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-27-2024 at 10:44 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #30
Rich69shortfleet

I used the good reproduction bezel and it looks as good or better than OEM. The tach is a reproduction but all the other gauges are originals. I also put in LEDs for much better illumination (except for the one that also lights up the gear selector, LED just wouldn't light up the gear selector worth a darn).

I experimented with green, white and red LEDs. I stuck with the green.

If I could find a nice OEM clock for one of the small pods I'd gladly use it to replace the vacuum gauge.

I also need to find a better temp sending unit that is more compatible with the temp gauge. The sending unit I have barely gets the needle above the C range on the left when the engine is fully warmed up.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rich69shortfleet; Yesterday at 10:04 PM.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #31
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich69shortfleet View Post
I used the good reproduction bezel and it looks as good or better than OEM. The tach is a reproduction but all the other gauges are originals. I also put in LEDs for much better illumination (except for the one that also lights up the gear selector, LED just wouldn't light up the gear selector worth a darn).

I experimented with green, white and red LEDs. I stuck with the green.

If I could find a nice OEM clock for one of the small pods I'd gladly use it to replace the vacuum gauge.

I also need to find a better temp sending unit that is more compatible with the temp gauge. The sending unit I have barely gets the needle above the C range on the left when the engine is fully warmed up.
If I may...where did you source your bezel?