The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2024, 09:40 AM   #826
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

one more check mark on the list! one more item added

got the "feet" cut off the job box to make it shorter and got that screwed down into the bed. my front bed lip was just a TAD thick and had the box overlapping the bed door by like 1/4". small trim and good to go. the new list item though is cutting the box down more by sectioning out like 3-4". it doesn't impair my vision out the back, but it's just a bit big/intrusive cosmetically i feel like. that's a figure Matt problem.

a now Matt problem will most likely be a lot of banging and clatter from the box.

front end is jacked up so i change the lower shock bolts. one has rubbed a really bad groove in the pass front tire, it's not nice. i need to get some button head bolts to replace the hex and swap this tire with one of the inner duals.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #827
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

racking up the miles now, the wife wants to take it any chance we can. the fuel filler is working great, except i have to drop the pass side of the truck like 2". the crossover tube is too flat and will back up the foam into the nozzle where it clicks off. then the motor so obviously wants more fuel and trying really hard to not just let it eat, i'm not ready to build the top end yet.

finally stopped working on the new shop long enough to do a few things this weekend.

air bags, small changes made a huge difference. the front i had not matched the bag max compression to the truck's full bump, i was able to add a 1" spacer under the bag and still get full drop. that's probably 2.5" out at the wheel. so now full height is 125psi, not the 160 i had been running. not only does it fill WAY faster, on the first tank even, but softening things up made it all work so much better. even found the air leak in the front left line and got it sealed.

then onto the back bags. 4 was still a good idea for load, but ONLY if i need load capacity. i unbolted the bottom of the load bag, dropped the truck, and plugged the bag/line. when the truck lifted, the bag stays compressed and just along for the ride with the chassis. this takes the rear from 35psi ride to 80. way more spring works a lot better with the shocks and matches the front better. the ride was already good, but now it's down right amazing. firm and connected, all while floating along.

3rd try ordering hinges for the bed hatch and finally got what i needed. hinges up really nice, and they are pinned to just slip off when up if i'm working back there. the side tilt gives me so much more room for working in there.

one thing that's driving me nutz, and not sure i'll ever be able to do anything about ... is this engine and transmission leaking oil. there is no way anything under this truck will ever rust now

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote