The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 10:17 AM   #1
68gmcswb

68 gmc c15 upper control arm bracket

Hi, 1968 gmc c15 swb step side. Front end was striped down and painted. Drop spindles and front disc brake conversion. I fabricated some upper control arm brackets for the cross shaft. The oem was all rotted and I used all the same geometry as the old.

I up sized the stud from a 1/2'' to a 9/16'' (grade 8 unf) and all the hardware is 9/16'' grade 8 unf on the vertical and 1/2'' grade 8 unf on the subframe. The cross shaft fits but it is really nice and tight. I'm afraid my good work will limite the caster adjustment. Worst comes to worst, i'll cut out the 9/16'' stud and weld some 1/2'' or I could radius the cross shaft bores to get my movement (different shim stack thickness).

I was also thinking about doing to bottom cross shaft mod (0.750'' to the front). What do you guys think about the bracket and my general idea for my alignment.

Thank you!

Nick.

Pardon my english! Canadian frenchmen fron New Brunswick here.

P.S. Sorry the pics are upside down. Trying to correct it. I trying fliping the pictures but nothing works. Sorry for your necks
Attached Images

Last edited by 68gmcswb; Today at 10:55 AM.
68gmcswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:49 PM   #2
leegreen

Re: 68 gmc c15 upper control arm bracket

Depending on the welds that is probably strong enough but you might have trouble if it ever needs inspection?

These trucks like more caster, they did not come with much from factory back in the day when power steering was not so common.

I have a spare crossmember but I think we are several days drive apart
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54 PM   #3
68gmcswb

Re: 68 gmc c15 upper control arm bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
Depending on the welds that is probably strong enough but you might have trouble if it ever needs inspection?

These trucks like more caster, they did not come with much from factory back in the day when power steering was not so common.

I have a spare crossmember but I think we are several days drive apart
Crossmember is all good. Didn't feel like paying 300$/each + shipping for some stamped steel crap. It's all 0.250'' steel. As for inspection, wont be a problem. Thanks for the reply buddy
68gmcswb is offline   Reply With Quote